August – December In US History
What do you know about
August – December In US History?
Try this The
Year In US History Made Easy Quiz.
"Check Your Answers"
at the end of the page.
1) On August 29, the US announces the discovery of what fission,
suitable for nuclear power generation?
2) On September 17–21, the 1947 Fort Lauderdale
Hurricane in southeastern Florida, and also in Alabama,
Mississippi, and Louisiana, causes widespread damage. What
was the death toll?
- 5 people
- 51 people
- 61 people
- 71 people
3) On September 17, what is the Office of Indian
- Bureau of Native American Affairs
- Office of Native American Affairs
- Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Department of Native American Affairs
4) On September 18, most provisions of the
National Security Act go into effect, reorganizing the military to
form the National Military Establishment (later the Department of
Defense) with subordinate Departments of the Army, Navy, and Air
Force; creating the Central Intelligence Agency and the National
Security Council; and establishing the Secretary of Defense.
Who becomes the first Secretary of Defense?
- Kenneth C. Royall
- Robert P. Patterson
- Louis A. Johnson
- James V. Forrestal
5) On September 26, what is made a separate
branch of the military?
- U.S. Air Force
- U.S. Marine Corps
- U.S. Coast Guard
- U.S. Special Forces
6) On October 14, who is the U.S. Air Force test
pilot to fly a Bell X-1 rocket plane faster than the speed of
sound, the first time that this has been accomplished in level
flight, or climbing?
- Neil Armstrong
- Chuck Yeager
- Eric "Winkle" Brown
- Neville Duke
7) On October 20, what country establishes
diplomatic relations with the United States?
- West Germany
8) When was the U.S. Caribbean Command
- October 10
- October 20
- October 30
- November 1
9) In California, the designer and airplane pilot
performs the maiden flight of the Spruce Goose, the largest
fixed-wing aircraft ever built was November 2. (The flight
lasts only eight minutes, and the "Spruce Goose" is never flown
again.) Who was the designer and airplane pilot?
- Howard Hughes
- Hilda Hewlett
- Bert Hinkler
- Bob Hoover
10) What program makes its television debut on
the NBC-TV network in the United States on November 6?
- Name That Tune
- Meet the Press
- Hour of Power
- The Tonight Show
11) What is the U.S. House of Representatives
vote, on November 24, to approve citations of Contempt of Congress
against the so-called Hollywood 10, after the ten men refuse to
co-operate with the House Un-American Activities Committee
concerning allegations of communist influences in the movie
business? (The ten men are blacklisted by the Hollywood movie
studios on the following day).
- 326 - 37
- 336 - 27
- 346 – 17
- 356 - 7
12) The play A Streetcar Named Desire opens in a
Broadway theater on December 3. Who is the playwright?
- August Wilson
- Lanford Wilson
- Jaimie-Lee Harris Marcher Wise
- Tennessee Williams
13) Who conducts a concert performance of the
first half of Giuseppe Verdi's opera Otello, which was based on
William Shakespeare's play Othello, for a broadcast on NBC Radio
on December 6?. The second half of the opera is broadcast a
- Arturo Toscanini
- Teodor Currentzis
- Christian Thielemann
- Zubin Mehta
14) When was the first practical electronic
transistor is demonstrated by Bardeen, Brattain, and Shockley of
the United States?
- December 12
- December 22
- December 17
- December 31