1790 In The United States
What do you know about 1790 In The United States?
Try this The Year In
The United States Easy Quiz.
"Check Your Answers" at
the end of the page.
1) On January 9, U.S. President George Washington gives
the third State of the Union Address.
2) The Supreme Court of the United States
convenes for the first time on February 1.
- New York City
- Washington, DC
3) Two Quaker delegates petition the United
States Congress for the abolition of slavery on February 11.
4) On March 1, what was authorized for the first time?
- United States census
- United States currency
- United States declaration of war
5) Who reports to President George Washington in New York
as the new United States Secretary of State on March 21?
- John Quincy Adams
- Aaron Burr
- Thomas Jefferson
6) On April 10, The United States patent system
7) What state ratifies the United States
Constitution and becomes the last of the 13 original states to do
so on May 29?
What is the state?
- Rode Island
8) The Compromise of 1790: Thomas Jefferson,
James Madison, and Alexander Hamilton come to an agreement:
Madison agrees to not be "strenuous" in opposition for the
assumption of state debts by the federal government; Hamilton
agrees to support the capital site being above the Potomac.
When was the compromise reached?
9) The signing of the Residence Bill establishes
a site as the District of Columbia, the capital district of the
United States on July 16.
Where is the site?
- along the Delaware River
- along the Hudson River
- along the Potomac River
10) On July 31, Inventor Samuel Hopkins becomes
the first to be issued a U.S. patent (for an improved method of
11) A newly passed U.S. tariff act, on August 4,
creates the United States Revenue Cutter Service.
is the forerunner of what government service?
- Border Patrol
- Coast Guard
- US Navy