Amazing Marion County Facts
Did You Know?
…that Marion County was
formed in 1842, from Harrison County and Monongalia County. It
was named for hero of the Revolution, Gen. Francis Marion. The
county was home of Francis H. Pierpont, leader in the creation
of West Virginia. The Monongahela River forms just above
…that at junction of US 250 and WV 218,
near Farmington is the Indian Raid Historical Marker.
Here Nicholas Wood and Jacob Straight were killed and Mrs.
Elizabeth Dragoo captured during Indian raid in 1786. Mrs.
Straight and daughter made their escape from the Indians by
hiding under sheltering rocks near by.
…that Fairmont State
College was founded through
private enterprise in 1865. It was established as a state
institution in 1867 and known as Fairmont State Normal School.
It became Fairmont State Teachers College, 1931. The name
Fairmont State College was adopted in 1943. The historical
marker is at the junction of US19 and Locust Avenue, in
…that the Confederate Cemetery
Historical Marker is located in Fairmont at 3rd St.
(WV 310) South, 0.4 miles south of US 250. Near this point, in
a mass grave, lie the remains of 39 Confederate soldiers from
the 6th, 7th, 11th and 12th Virginia cavalry units--part of
the force led by Gen. W. E. Jones. They attacked Fairmont on
April 29, 1863, after raids at Kingwood and Morgantown. The
rebels routed the small Union forces, destroyed four railroad
bridges, stole horses and cattle, and looted stores in town.
…That Mannington was once
called Koontown but renamed in 1856 when chartered as town by
Va. Assembly. It was incorporated under W. Va. law in 1871.
Abundant natural gas attracted diverse industry by 1900.
Brick, glass and boiler factories, machine shops, granite
works, Bowers Pottery Co., among world's largest sanitary
products maker, & Phillips Tool Co., serving the coal, oil and
gas industries, were located here.
…That one mile south of Mannington at
Flaggy Meadow is the site of
the first oil well in the Mannington field, drilled Oct. 11,
1889. The location was scientifically verified by geologist I.
C. White (1848-1927) using the anticlinal theory. Oil and gas
boom sparked industrial growth in Mannington. Also at Flaggy
Meadow is uncommon round barn built by Amos Hamilton in 1912
at cost of $1,900.
…That in Farmington at WV 218 North, just
north of US 250 bridge is the Waitman T. Willey Historical
Marker. A mile north stood the cabin in which Waitman T.
Willey, the West Virginia’s first U.S. Senator, was born,
October 18, 1811. He was elected August 4, 1863 by the
Legislature, he served until March 3, 1871. He died on May 2,
1900 and is buried in Morgantown.
…That Barrackville Covered Bridge
was built in 1853 by Eli and Lemuel Chenoweth, West Virginia's
pioneer bridge builders. It is an excellent example of a
modified Burr Truss and is in substantially original
condition. The bridge was saved from destruction during Jones'
Raid, on April 29, 1863, by the Ice family, nearby mill owners
and Southern sympathizers. It's the only covered bridge in the
state that bears its vehicular loads with essentially no
…That in Fairmont, at the Courthouse
Square, Jefferson St. (county route 64) & Adams St. (US 250)
is the Fairmont Historical
Marker. Fairmont was the home of Francis H.
Pierpont, whose services in the organization of this State are
commemorated by his statue in Statuary Hall, Washington. He
was governor under the Restored Government of the State of
Virginia from 1861-1868.
…that in Fairmont at the Courthouse Square,
Adams St. (US 250 North) is the Boaz Fleming 1758-1830
Historical Marker. Here in 1819, on land purchased
from Thomas Barns, Boaz Fleming, pioneer, soldier of the
American Revolution, founded his town, which, in 1820, the
Virginia General Assembly established as Middletown, under a
trustee form of government. Middletown was renamed Fairmont in
…that at US 250 (Fairmont Avenue), at
junction with WV 310 (Third Street), in Fairmont is the site
of Williams Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church, now Central
United Methodist, where Father's Day
was first observed on July 5, 1908. Rev. Webb conducted
service upon request of Mrs. Charles Clayton, daughter of
Methodist minister Fletcher Golden, just two months after
first Mother's Day observance at Grafton. National
recognition of Father's Day achieved in 1972 by congressional
…that on County Route 73, by junction with
County Route 76, northeast of Fairmont (just west of I-79 exit
139) is the Prickett's Fort
Historical Marker. To the
north stood a fort built in 1774, by Jacob Prickett. In 1777,
Captain William Haymond commanded a militia company here,
which guarded Monongahela Valley. In Prickett Cemetery are
graves of Colonel Zackquill Morgan and other pioneers.
…that on County Route 73/73 (Old County
Route 73), at junction with County Route 73/7 (Boothsville
Road), in Boothsville. It was named for
Captain James Booth, pioneer soldier and settler. He was
killed by Indians, 1778, and his companion, Nathaniel Cochran,
wounded and captured. William Grundy, brother of the noted
Felix Grundy, was also killed by Indians near by.
…that on US 19, near Rivesville-Fairview
Road was Fort Paw Paw. North on high flat, overlooking the junction of
Paw Paw Creek and the Monongahela River, was "Paw Paw Fort", a
ninety-foot square stockade-fort erected in 1781. Rangers
commanded by Captain Jack Evans garrisoned it.
…that on US 19 in Rivesville is the David Morgan Historical Marker. Near this spot in
1779, David Morgan killed two Indians. The attack on his two
children had been warned in a strange dream. Morgan lived on a
farm on the Monongahela River between Paw Paw and Prickett
…that Coon's Fort
was on US 19, 0.6 miles north of junction with WV 218, north
of Worthington. To south was an Indian fort built in 1777
under direction of Captain James Booth. It was an important
place of refuge for many early settlers in this valley. Near
by was the iron furnace built by Benjamin Brice in 1812.
…that on County Route 56, at the Monongah
Town Hall, in Monongah is the Historical Marker honoring the
Monongah Disaster. On Dec.,
6, 1907, 361 coal miners, many of them from countries far
across the sea, perished under these hills in the worst mining
disaster of our nation. The four who escaped died of injuries.
…that the Colonel George S. "Spanky"
Roberts, USAF Memorial Bridge was named in honor of
local American hero, "Spanky" Roberts (1914-84). He graduated
from Dunbar High School & WV State College. He was the firsts
African-American aviation cadet, at Tuskegee, in 1941. He was
commissioned 2nd Lt. & pilot in 1942. He flew over 100
missions in Africa, Europe & Mid-East. He also commanded the
99th Fighter Squadron, and 332nd Fighter Group in WWII. He was
decorated for meritorious service in WWII, Korea, & 25 year
…that at the Junction of WV218 and CR17 in
Basnettville is the Lenna Lowe Yost Historical Marker.
She was born in 1878 in Basnettville, Marion Co. She was
President of Women's Christian Temperance Union by 1908 and
led state suffrage movement in 1917, resulting in 1920 passage
of 19th Amendment giving women right to vote. She was first
woman to chair WV Republican party convention and be appointed
to State Board of Education. She served as Director, National
Republican Party Women's Division. Lenna Lowe Yost died on May
…that the Robert H.
Mollohan Bridge was completed in 1921, honoring WW I veterans. It was
designed by Concrete Steel Engineering Co., NY and built by
John F. Casey Co., Pittsburgh. Three 250 feet reinforced
concrete arch spans, 90 feet above river, 1,266 feet. long. It
connected Fairmont by trolley, foot and vehicle. It as listed
on National Register; 1991, renamed to honor Congressman
Mollohan's public service and restored in 2000.
…that at the Junction of WV218 and US250,
Farmington is the Farmington Disaster Historical
Marker. An explosion in Consolidated Coal No. 9 mine
on November 20, 1968 resulted in deaths of 78 miners, with
only 21 men rescued. The mine was sealed ten days later due to
fires and explosions. In 1969 recovery efforts began. Over a
ten year period the bodies of 59 miners were extracted. The
mine was permanently sealed in November 1978. This disaster
led to passage of Federal Coal Mine Health and Safety Act of
…that the Patriot Defender/David
Morgan (1721-1813) Historical Marker is located at
the David Morgan Memorial Bridge, Third Street, Fairmont.
David Morgan, was a soldier during the French & Indian War. He
served at Fort Necssity and in Braddock and Forbes
Expeditions. Hw was a soldier in Revolutionary War. He
provided drill grounds at Pettyjohn. He surveyed Pricketts
Fort and southwest Virginia. He was a Justice of the peace. He
was noted for saving two of his children in a fight with two
Indians. He was the son of Col. Morgan Morgan. He surveyed
with Washington for Fairfax Stone and explored with Boone &
Gist. He settled in Fairmont in 1771. He surveyed
Pleasantville (Rivesville) 1776. Upriver on his nearby 361 -
acre River See, he established Pettyjohn with a ferry, mail
drop, trading post, and home (extant) with salt works
Did you know?
… that "Hot Fudge"
in the U.S. and Canada is usually understood to be a chocolate
product often used as a topping for ice cream in a heated form and
it is not necessarily directly connected with the confection known
more Did You
Know?...that - Food Facts...