Amazing Barbour County Facts
Did You Know?
Barbour County was formed
from Harrison, Lewis and Randolph Counties in 1843. It
is named for Philip Pendleton Barbour, distinguished Virginia
jurist. The scene of opening hostilities on land between
the armies of the North and South in 1861.
…that US 119/US 250 and Arden Rd. (county
route 6), 2.7 miles south of Taylor County border & 1.2 miles
north of WV 76 is the Ida L. Reed Historical Marker.
Northeast, 3 1/2 miles, is the birthplace of Ida L. Reed, born
November 30, 1865. She became famous for her religious
writings, chiefly cantatas, poems and hymns, of which she
wrote over 2000. Her hymns have been used in the
services of eleven denominations in America. Many have
been translated into foreign languages. Her most noted is "I
Belong to the King". Miss Reed died July 8, 1951, and is
…that on WV 38, Valley Furnace
Roadside Rest Area, 3.0 miles east of WV 92 North at
Nestorville & 2.3 miles west of Tucker County border is the
Valley Furnace Historical Marker. Iron ore was discovered here
in 1835, by John Johnson. The Old Iron Furnace, built in 1848,
was operated for six years by C. W. Bryant and Isaac Marsh. In
1850, a steam engine replaced the water power used to run fan
air blast. Charcoal was fuel used. About 9,000 pounds of iron
were produced daily. The iron was hauled by mule team 50 miles
to the Monongahela River near Fairmont for shipment by boat to
…that in Belington, WV 92, 0.1 miles north
of US 250 is the Meadowville Historical Marker.
Meadowville, on the site of an Indian fort built in 1784, is a
few miles north. New Jersey colonists settled there before
1800, and tavern, mills, and stores made it a trading center
of the Tygarts Valley for a hundred years.
..that on County Route 15, 2.1 miles east
of US 250/WV 92 at Belington is the Laurel Hill
Historical Marker. The Battle of
Laurel Hill on July 8, 1861, was between Confederates and
McClellan's army, followed by actions after Rich Mountain and
Corrick's Ford, gave Federals control of State and established
communication lines to the West. Fine view from peak.
…that the Camp Laurel Hill
Historical Marker is on County Route 15, 1.9 miles
east of US 250/WV 92 at Belington. The fortified camp
was occupied by Confederates under Brig. Gen. Robert S.
Garnett, from June 16 to July 12, 1861. It was the scene
of sharp skirmishes between July 7-11. Garnett retreated
early in the morning of July 12 after the Rich Mountain
…that in Belington, on Crim Ave. (US 250/WV
92) & Watkins St. (County Route 15), 0.4 miles south of US
250/WV 92 split & 5.7 miles north of US 33 is the Camp
Belington Historical Marker . Union troops under
Brigadier General T. A. Morris advanced from Philippi on July
7, 1861 and established a fortified camp near this site. The
Battle of Belington took place July 7-11. Confederates were
two miles to east at Laurel Hill.
…that the Philippi Historical
Marker is in Philippi, on Courthouse Square, Court
St. (US 250) & N. Main St., 0.3 miles south of US 119. The
town was originally called Anglin's Ford for William Anglin
but later named Booth's Ferry for Daniel Booth. Near by in
1780, Richard, Cottrill, and Charity Talbott settled. Philippi
was named for Judge Philip Pendleton Barbour."
…that in Philippi, at the east end of
bridge, US 250, 0.1 miles west of US 119 is The
Historical Marker. The Philippi
Covered Bridge across Tygart Valley River was built in 1852 by
Lemuel Chenoweth of Beverly. It was made of wood, with the
exception of the iron bolts used to hold the segments
together, it is an example of the best in covered bridge
architecture and design. It was used by armies of the North
and South in the Civil War. In 1934 the bridge was
strengthened to permit modern traffic and is today a part of
…that the Historic Campbell School
Historical Marker is in Philippi, on the
Alderson-Broaddus College campus, Broaddus Rd. off US 119/US
250, 0.6 miles north of US 119/US 250 split. After the Civil
War, Barbour County residents built this one-room school house
near Volga, 8 miles SW. As one of the county's first free
schools, it was the center of education for hundreds of
children, providing instruction for primary through eighth
grade, until it closed in 1963. In 1992, the restored school
was moved to Alderson-Broaddus College campus to insure its
preservation. Noted alumni, Arch Hall, M.D., who performed 1st
open-heart surgery in U.S. & Helen Reger, 1976 West Virginia
Teacher of the Year were educated in this one-room
schoolhouse. Elza and Nola Wilson restored and gave school to
…that in Philippi, at Dumont Park, on US
119/US 250, 0.5 miles north of US 119/US 250 split is the
First Land Battle Historical Marker. The
first land battle between the North and South here on June 3,
1861. Confederates under Col. Porterfield were dislodged by
Federal troops from Gen. McClellan's army under Col. Kelley.
The old covered bridge here was used by both armies.
…that the Birthplace -- W. D. Zinn
Historical Marker is in Philippi, at Dumont Park, on
US 119/US 250, 0.5 miles north of US 119/US 250 split. One
mile east is Woodbine Farm, birthplace of W. D. Zinn, noted
farmer, writer and lecturer. He contributed much to scientific
farming in this and adjoining states. "The Story of Woodbine
Farm" is an autobiography of his work.
…that Historic Chrislip Hollow
Historical Marker is in Elk City, WV 57 & Scales Rd.
(secondary route 57/8), 3.1 miles west of US 119. One mile
north of this site is the graveyard of one of West Virginia's
pioneer families. They emigrated from Germany in
1765 and Pennsylvania ca. 1782, Revolutionary War Patriot
Jacob Christlieb (Chrislip) came to this region with wife,
Nancy Singer and reared 7 sons and 7 daughters.
…that south of Philippi, on US 119, 2.0
miles south of WV 57 is the Henry Everett Engle
Approximately 1/4 mile west was the birthplace of Henry
Everett Engle, the author and composer of original chorus and
music for the Rev. David King's poem, "The West Virginia
Hills," in 1885. He was born in 1849 and died in 1933.
Did you know?
… that "Hot Fudge"
in the U.S. and Canada is usually understood to be a chocolate
product often used as a topping for ice cream in a heated form and
it is not necessarily directly connected with the confection known
more Do you
know - Food Facts...