1952 In Major League Baseball
Test your baseball knowledge of 1952 In
Major League Baseball.
Get up to bat in this
Alan's FUN Baseball
"Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
1) On January 31, Harry Heilmann with 203
votes, and Paul Waner with 195, become the newest members of the
Hall of Fame.
What positions were both players?
- First Base
- Right Field
2) A 77 year old Hall of Famer retires after
40 years as a major league player and coach on February 16.
He receives a pension from the Pittsburgh Pirates, with whom he
spent most of those years.
is the Hall of Famer?
- Morgan Bulkeley
- Honus Wagner
- Byron Johnson
- Nap Lajoie
3) Veteran Negro League catcher Quincy Trouppe
makes his major league debut with the Cleveland Indians on April
30. At 39 years of age, he is one of the oldest rookies in
major league history. Three days later, Trouppe is behind the
plate when relief pitcher enters the game, forming the first black
battery in American League history.
Who was the relief pitcher?
- Sam Jones
- Mike Squires
- Rick Langford
- Fernando Arroyo
4) All-Star Game, July 8 at Shibe Park:
National League, 3-2 (5 innings)
5) On June 11, a Boston Red Sox player clouts
a walk-off grand slam in the ninth inning off pitcher Satchel
Paige to give the Boston Red Sox a 11–9 victory over the St. Louis
Browns at Fenway Park.
Who clouts the walk-off grand
- Doug Capilla
- Terry Forster
- Sammy White
- Wayne Gross
6) On August 30, he is a 40 year old, drowning
victim, 9-time All-Star shortstop, who was named the NL's MVP in
1935 by The Sporting News; career .318 hitter led NL in runs,
triples and walks three times each.
Who was the drowning victim?
- Craig Reynolds
- Ray Knight
- Dennis Werth
- Arky Vaughan
7) The New York Yankees defeat the Brooklyn
Dodgers, 4–2 on October 7, in the decisive Game 7 of the World
Series to win their fourth straight World Championship title,
tying the mark they set between 1936 and 1939 and fifteenth
overall. Billy Martin saves the day by snaring a two-out,
bases-loaded infield pop off the bat of Jackie Robinson. Gil
Hodges goes hitless again and is 0-for-21 in the Series. This is
the Yankees' third defeat of the Dodgers in six years.
8) The American League Most Valuable Player
Award went to Bobby Shantz, Philadelphia Athletics, (P).
Who was honored with the
National League Most Valuable Player Award?
- Hank Sauer, Chicago Cubs, (OF)
- Fred Lynn, Chicago Cubs, (OF)
- Will McEnaney, Chicago Cubs, (OF)
- Barry Foote, Chicago Cubs, (OF)
9) Stan Musial of the St. Louis Cardinals lead
the National League with a Batting Average (.336).
Who was the Philadelphia Athletics
player the lead the American League hitting (.327)?
- Larry Doby
- Ferris Fain
- Ralph Kiner
- Hank Sauer
10) Allie Reynolds, St. Louis Cardinals, was
named Manager of the Year.