1940 In Major League Baseball
Test your baseball knowledge of
1940 In Major League Baseball. Get up to bat in this
Alan's FUN Baseball
Trivia quiz. "Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
On April 16, a Cleveland Indians' player pitches a 1-0 opening day
no-hitter against the Chicago White Sox. Who is the
- Ron Brand
- Bob Feller
- Hank Fischer
- Jim Hannan
2) Who is the future Hall of Fame player that makes his
major league debut at shortstop for the Brooklyn Dodgers on April
- Danny Cater
- Len Gabrielson
- Bill Kelso
- Pee Wee Reese
3) The 1940 American League Most Valuable Player
was Hank Greenberg of the Detroit Tigers. The 1940 National League
Most Valuable Player was Frank McCormick. Who did
McCormick play for?
- Boston Bees
- Cincinnati Reds
- New York Giants
- Philadelphia Phillies
4) Joe DiMaggio led the American League with a .352 batting
average. Who led the National League with a .355
- Debs Garms
- Elrod Hendricks
- Ray Sadecki
- Don Thompson
5) Hank Greenberg led the American League with 41
home runs and 159 RBIs. Johnny Mize led the National League with
43 home runs and 137 RBIs.
6) Bob Feller led the American Leagues with 27
wins, ERA 2.61 and 261 strikeouts. Bucky Walters led the National
League with 22 wins and ERA of 2.48. Who led the
National League in strikeouts with 137?
- Jack Aker
- Gene Alley
- Bucky Brandon
- Kirby Higbe
7) On August 21, Ernest Thayer, 77, newspaper
editor whose 1888 poem "Centerfield" became a staple of baseball
8) Who hit his career 500th home run on September 24?
- Joe Dobson
- Jimmie Foxx
- Odell Hale
- Frankie Pytlak
9) Who won the 1940 American League pennant?
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- New York Yankees
10) Who won the 1940 National League pennant?
- Brooklyn Dodgers
- Cincinnati Reds
- Pittsburgh Pirates
- St. Louis Cardinals