1970 In Major League Baseball
Test your baseball knowledge of
1970 In Major League Baseball. Get up to bat in this
Alan's FUN Baseball
Trivia quiz. "Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
1) On January 16, a Gold Glove outfielder of
the St. Louis Cardinals, files a civil lawsuit challenging Major
League Baseball's reserve clause, a suit that will have historic
implications. He refused to report to the Philadelphia Phillies
after he was traded by the Cardinals three months ago, contending
the baseball rule violates federal antitrust laws.
Who was the Gold Glove outfielder?
- Curt Flood
- Jason Lake
- Johnny Rivers
- Mike Waters
2) On January 20, who is elected to the Hall of Fame by
the Baseball Writers Association of America on 232 of 300 ballots.
- Lou Boudreau
- Ray Collins
- Jumbo Elliott
- Johnny Murphy
3) Major league baseball returns to Wisconsin,
on April 7, after a 4-year absence as the Brewers play their first
game in Milwaukee, losing to the California Angels 12 - 0 before a
crowd of 37,237.
4) Who makes his 1,000th pitching appearance; the first
pitcher in history to do so on May 10?
- Steve Carlton
- Alan Embree
- Kurt Gibson
- Hoyt Wilhelm
5) Johnny Bench was the National League’s Most
Valuable Player. Who was the American League’s MVP?
- Paul Blair
- Don Buford
- Dave McNally
- Boog Powell
6) Jim Perry won the 1970 American League Cy
Young Award. Who won the 1970 National League Cy
- Dock Elliss
- Bob Gibson
- Gaylord Perry
- Peter Tyson
7) The American League Rookie of the Year was
Thurman Munson and the National League Rookie of the Year was Carl
8) The American League batting champ with a
.329 batting average was Alex Johnson. The National League
batting champ was Rico Carty of the Atlanta Braves.
What was his 1970 season batting average?
9) On August 11, Philadelphia's Chris Short
beats the Houston Astros 6-5 to become the first pitcher to win
100 games in both leagues since Cy Young.
10) The Boston Red Sox, on December 1 trade
second baseman Mike Andrews and shortstop Luis Alvarado to the
Chicago White Sox in exchange for future Hall of Fame shortstop.
Who was the future Hall of Fame shortstop?
- Luis Aparicio
- Royce Clayton
- Nellie Fox
- Lee Handley