Tampa Bay Rays: The Early Years
your baseball knowledge of the Tampa Bay Rays: The Early Years. Get up to bat in this
Alan's FUN Baseball
Trivia quiz. "Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
On March 9, 1995, new expansion franchises were awarded to Tampa
Bay group and a group from Phoenix (the Arizona Diamondbacks).
The new franchises were scheduled to begin play in 1998. Who
was the founding owner of the American League baseball franchise
in St. Petersburg, Florida, now known as the Tampa Bay Rays?
- Vince Naimoli
- Matthew Silverman
- Rubin Aaron
- James Garner
2) On November 7, 1997, who was named the team's first
- Carl Crawford
- Gabe Kapler
- Larry Rothschild
- B. J. Upton
3) The 1997 MLB Expansion Draft who was the first the
first Tampa Bay player picked?
- Stan Boroski
- Tom Foley
- George Hendrick
- Tony Saunders
4) Who did they play on March 31, 1998 as the first
regular season game played in Tampa Bay?
- Detroit Tigers
- New York Yankees
- New Orleans Saints
- Boston Red Sox
5) Who lead the team in 1998 with a .292
- Wade Boggs
- Quinton McCracken
- Randy Winn
- Mike Tomlin
6) Rolando Arrojo, Pitcher was selected to the
1998 MLB All-Star Game
7) How many games did they win in their first season?
8) On December 9, 1997: Wade Boggs signed as a
Free Agent with the Tampa Bay.
9) June 22, 1998: The first interleague game
between the Florida Marlins and the Tampa Bay Devil Rays took
place at Tropicana Field. The rivalry would be known as the Orange
10) Who lead the team with 19 home runs
and 81 RBIs?
- Miguel Cairo
- Aaron Ledesma
- Scott McClain
- Fred McGriff