Test your baseball knowledge of Mickey Mantle.
Get up to bat in this
Alan's FUN Baseball Trivia quiz.
Your Answers" at the end of the quiz.
1) Mickey Charles Mantle (October 20, 1931 – August 13,
1995) was born in Spavinaw, Oklahoma, the son of Elvin Charles
Mantle and Lovell (née Richardson) Mantle. He was named in
honor of Mickey Cochrane, the Hall of Fame catcher from the
Philadelphia Athletics, by his father. His father was an
amateur player and fervent fan.
What was his father’s nickname?
- “Oil Man”
2) When Mantle was four years old, the family
moved to the nearby town of Commerce, Oklahoma. Mantle was
an all-around athlete at Commerce High School, playing basketball
as well as football (he was offered a football scholarship by the
University of Oklahoma) in addition to his first love, baseball.
3) Kicked in the shin during a game, Mantle's leg
soon became infected with a crippling disease that would have been
incurable just a few years earlier. A midnight drive to
Tulsa, Oklahoma, enabled Mantle to be treated with newly available
penicillin, saving his leg from amputation. He suffered from
the effects of the disease for the rest of his life, and it
probably led to many other injuries that hampered his professional
career. Additionally, Mantle's health condition exempted him
from military service.
What was the condition he had?
- SAPHO syndrome
4) What was the name of
the semi-pro team he played for while in high school?
- Baxter Springs, Kansas Whiz Kids
- Siloam Springs, Oklahoma Golden Bears
- Neosho, Missouri Muds
- Coffeeville, Kansas Brewers
5) After high school graduation in 1949 before
inking a minor league contract with their Class-D affiliate in
Independence, Kansas. Mantle signed for $400 ($4,563 in
current dollar terms) to play the remainder of the season with a
$1,100 ($10,039 in current dollar terms) signing bonus.
What was the name of the
6) When did he make his
MLB debut for the New York Yankees?
- April 17, 1951
- May 17, 1951
- June 17, 1951
- July 17, 1951
7) Mantle made his last MLB appearance
September 28, 1968 for the Kansas City Athletics.
8) What was Mantle’s MLB career batting average?
9) What was Mantle’s MLB
career home runs?
10) What was
NOT a year, Mantle won the American League Most Valuable
11) Mantle's last home run came on September 20, 1968,
off a Boston Red Sox pitcher. Who was the pitcher?
- John Baker
- Manny Fox
- Herb Johnson
- Jim Lonborg
12) What year did he top
the American League with the Triple Crown in home runs, runs
batted in, and batting average?
13) Mickey Mantle hit for the cycle on July
the Yankees play that day?
- Boston Red Sox
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
14) What year was Mantle
inducted in the Baseball Hall of Fame?
15) Mantle died on August 13, 1995, at Baylor
University Medical Center in Dallas. During the first Yankee
home game after Mantle's death, Eddie Layton played "Somewhere
Over the Rainbow" on the Hammond organ because Mickey had once
told him it was his favorite song.
16) Where was Mickey
- Cremated, Ashes scattered at sea, Ashes scattered over
- Rose Hill Burial Park, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Sparkman-Hillcrest Memorial Park Cemetery, Dallas, Texas
- Woodland Memorial Park Cemetery, Sand Springs, Oklahoma