your baseball knowledge of Willie Stargell. Get up to bat in this
Alan's FUN Baseball
Trivia quiz. "Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
1) Wilver Dornell “Willie” Stargell was born on
March 6, 1940 in Oklahoma, but later moved to Alameda, California
where he attended Encinal High School. What is his home town in
- Hoot Owl
August 7, 1958, Stargell was signed by the Pittsburgh Pirates as
an amateur free agent.
3) Stargell made his
MLB debut September 16, 1962 for the Pittsburgh Pirates.
4) When did go to his first All-Star game?
5) What was Stargell’s career batting
6) How many
home runs did Stargell hit during his MLB career?
7) Bob Prince, the colorful longtime Pirate
sportcaster would greet a Stargell home run with the phrase
"Chicken on the Hill". This referred to Stargell's ownership of a
chicken restaurant in Pittsburgh's Hill District. For a time,
whenever he homered, Stargell's restaurant would give away free
chicken to all patrons present in the restaurant at the time of
the home run, in a promotion dubbed "Chicken on the Hill with
8) What year was he named the National League’s Most
9) When did Stargell make his last MLB
appearance for the Pittsburgh Pirates?
- September 30, 1982
- October 3, 1982
- October 13, 1982
- October 23, 1982
10) He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of
Fame in his first year of eligibility. What year was
Stargell inducted into the Hall of Fame?
11) Cause of death: Stroke brought on by Kidney
disorder. When did Wilver Stargell die?
- April 9, 2001
- April 19, 2001
- April 29, 2001
- May 9, 2001
12) Where is Wilver Stargell buried?
- Gaston Memorial Park, Gastonia, North Carolina
- Saint Marys Cemetery, Latrobe, Pennsylvania
- Saints Peter and Paul Cemetery, Springfield, Delaware
- Oleander Memorial Gardens, Wilmington, North Carolina