your baseball knowledge of Bill Mazeroski. Get up to bat in this
Alan's FUN Baseball
Trivia quiz. "Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
William Stanley Mazeroski was born on September 5, 1936. Where was
- Bridgeport, West Virginia
- Oakmont, Pennsylvania
- Wheeling, West Virginia
- Williamsburg, Pennsylvania
2) As a 17-year-old in 1954, Mazeroski signed with the Pittsburgh
Pirates. Originally a shortstop, he was quickly moved to second
base. He would remain with the Pirates his entire career.
When did he make his MLB debut?
- May 7, 1956
- June 7, 1956
- July 7, 1956
- August 7, 1956
3) How many times during his MLB career was he a Gold
Glove Award winner?
4) Pirates broadcaster Bob Prince used to call
him simply "The Glove".
5) His career batting average was .325.
6) In the 1960 World Series, Mazeroski clinched
the title for Pittsburgh in Game 7 with a game-winning home run
off the New York Yankees pitcher in the bottom of the ninth
inning. Who was the Yankee pitcher he hit the home run off to win
the 1960 World Series?
- Whitey Ford
- Steve Goddard
- Joe Morgan
- Ralph Terry
7) The 13-year-old fan who caught the ball traded
it to Mazeroski for two cases of beer, after which the ball was
placed in the Hall of Fame.
8) Along with Mazerosksi, who was the other last remaining
Pirate players from the 1960 World Series winners to play on the
1971 championship team.
- Roberto Clemente
- Dick Grote
- Harvey Haddix
- Dick Stuart
9) When did Mazerosksi make his last MLB appearance for
the Pittsburgh Pirates?
- September 24, 1972
- October 4, 1972
- October 14, 1972
- October 24, 1972
10) What year was Mazerosksi inducted into the Baseball
Hall of Fame?