your baseball knowledge of George Sisler. Get up to bat in this
Alan's FUN Baseball
Trivia quiz. "Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
George Harold Sisler was born on March 24, 1893 in the
unincorporated hamlet of Manchester (now part of the city of New
Franklin, a suburb of Akron, Ohio.
2) Sisler played college ball for coach at the
University of Michigan, where he earned a degree in mechanical
engineering. Who was his Michigan coach?
- Cool Papa Bell
- Mel Ott
- Mark Reynolds
- Branch Rickey
- Pie Traynor
3) He made his MLB debut on June 28, 1915.
Who was the team?
- Chicago Cubs
- Detroit Tiger
- Pittsburgh Pirates
- St. Louis Browns
4) Sisler began his baseball career as a
pitcher. In his first season he pitched in 15 games with a 4 wins
- 4 losses record. What position did he switch to in
- First Base
5) In 1920, Sisler played every inning of each
game, stole 42 bases (second in the American League), collected
257 hits for an average of .407, and ended the season by hitting
.442 in August and .448 in September.
6) In 1922, Sisler’s batting average is the
third-highest of the twentieth century, surpassed only by Rogers
Hornsby's in 1924 and Nap Lajoie's in 1901. What was
his batting average?
7) He was chosen as the AL's Most Valuable
Player, the first year an official league award was given.
What was the year?
8) In 1923, however, a severe attack of
sinusitis caused him double vision, forcing him to miss a quarter
of the season.
9) In 1928, the Browns sold Sisler's contract
to the Washington Senators, who in turn sold the contract to the
Boston Braves in May. How many games did he play for
10) In the three years he played for the Braves, what
is NOT a season batting average?
11) Playing for the Boston Braves, when was his last
Major League game?
- September 2, 1930
- September 12, 1930
- September 22, 1930
- September 30, 1930
12) When was he inducted into the Baseball Hall of
13) Sisler died at the aged of 80 in Richmond
Heights, Missouri, while still employed as a scout for the
Pirates. What was the date?
- February 6, 1973
- March 6, 1973
- March 16, 1973
- March 26, 1973
14) Where is George Sisler buried?
- Dexter Cemetery, Dexter, Missouri
- Faith Des Peres Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Frontenac,
- Pierce Brothers Valhalla Memorial Park, North Hollywood,
- Woodlawn Memorial Park, Nashville, Tennessee