your baseball knowledge of
Get up to bat in this
Alan's FUN Baseball
"Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
Henry Louis "Lou" Gehrig was born in the Yorkville section of
Manhattan, weighing almost 14 pounds at birth, the second child of
What was his birth date?
- June 19, 1903
- July 19, 1903
- August 19, 1903
- June 19, 1905
2) On June 15, 1923 Gehrig made his major league debut for the New
3) who was removed from the Yankees'
starting lineup and replaced with Gehrig on June 2, 1925?
- Mark Koenig
- Fred Merkle
- Heinie Odom
- Wally Pipp
4) Over a fifteen-season span from 1925 through
1939, he played in 2,130 consecutive games, the streak ending only
when Gehrig became disabled by the fatal neuromuscular disease
that claimed his life two years later. His streak, long considered
one of baseball's few unbreakable records, stood for 56 years,
until finally broken on September 6, 1995.
Who broke the
- Pete Rose
- Joe Morgan
- Wade Phillips
- Cal Ripken, Jr.
5) How many times was Gehrig American League MVP?
6) When did he hit 4 home runs in a game?
- June 3, 1930
- June 3, 1931
- June 3, 1932
- June 3, 1933
7) In September 1933, Gehrig married Eleanor Twitchell, the
daughter of Chicago Parks Commissioner Frank Twitchell.
8) How many grand slam home runs did he hit
during his career?
9) First athlete ever to appear on a box of
10) As Lou Gehrig's debilitation became steadily
worse, his wife Eleanor called the famed Mayo Clinic in Rochester,
Minnesota. After six days of extensive testing at Mayo Clinic, the
diagnosis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) was confirmed on
June 19, Gehrig's 36th birthday.
11) On June 21, the New York Yankees announced Gehrig's retirement
and proclaimed, "Lou Gehrig Appreciation Day" at
When was the appreciation day held?
- June 28, 1939
- July 4, 1939
- August 31, 1939
- July 28, 1939
12) The Yankees retired Gehrig's uniform number, making him the
first player in Major League Baseball history to be accorded that
What was his number?
13) At 10:10 p.m., sixteen years to the day after
he became a starter at first base and two years after his
retirement from baseball, Lou Gehrig died at his home at 5204
Delafield Avenue, in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, New York.
What was the day?
- June 2, 1941
- June 12, 1941
- June 22, 1941
- July 4, 1941
14) Where is Lou Gehrig buried?
- Kensico Cemetery, Valhalla, New York
- Sacred Heart Cemetery, Muenster, Texas
- Breslau Cemetery, North Lindenhurst, New York
- Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Hawthorne, Westchester County,
15) What year was he voted unanimously into the Baseball
Hall of Fame?