your baseball knowledge of Cap Anson. Get up to bat in this
"Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
Adrian Constantine Anson was born on April 17, 1852in
2) On May 6, 1871, he makes his debut with the
Rockford Forest Citys of the National Association.
was his batting average for the season?
3) Anson was 6' 0" and weight: 227 lbs.
4) From 1872 to 1875, he played for the
NOT a batting average with the
5) In 1872 the 20 year old Anson met 13 year old
Virginia Fiegal, the daughter of a Philadelphia bar and restaurant
When were they married?
- November 21, 1872
- November 21, 1874
- November 21, 1876
- November 21, 1878
6) Anson shares credit as an innovator of modern
spring training along with then-Chicago President Albert Spalding,
as they were among the first to send their clubs to warmer
climates in the South to prepare for the season.
7) Besides Cap, what was his nickname?
8) There has been some controversy as to whether
Anson should be considered the first player ever to reach the
3,000 hit milestone. For many years, official statistics
credited him with achieving that goal.
What does the
Baseball Hall of Fame credit his hits?
9) Over 100 years after his retirement, he still
holds several Cubs franchise records, including most career RBI,
runs, hits, singles, and doubles.
10) When was Anson inducted into the Baseball Hall of
Fame, one of the first 19th century players selected.
11) Following a glandular ailment, Anson died on
at the age of 69 in Chicago, Illinois.
What is the date?
- April 4, 1922
- April 14, 1922
- April 24, 1922
- May 14, 1922
12) Where is Cap Anson buried?
- Acacia Park Cemetery and Mausoleum, Chicago, Illinois
- Beverly Cemetery, Blue Island, Illinois
- Christ Lutheran Cemetery, Orland Park, Illinois
- Oak Woods Cemetery, Chicago, Illinois