your baseball knowledge of Cy Young. Get up to bat in this
"Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
Denton True "Cy" Young was born on March 29, 1867. He was the
oldest child born to McKinzie Young Jr. and Nancy Miller.
was he born?
- Macon, Georgia
- Spenser, West Virginia
- Akron, Ohio
- Gilmore, Ohio
2) Cy Young's nickname came from the fences that
he had destroyed using his fastball. The fences looked like a
cyclone [tornado] had hit them. Reporters later shortened the name
to "Cy", which became the nickname Young used for the rest of his
3) When did Young make his major league debut and he
pitched a three-hit shutout?
- August 6, 1889
- July 6, 1890
- August 6, 1890
- September 6, 1892
4) Charles “Chief” Zimmer was his catcher more often than
any other player. In his first eight years in Major League
Baseball, who did Young play for?
- Cleveland Spiders
- Canton Indians
- Akron Goodyears
- Pittsburgh Steelers
5) Bill James wrote that Zimmer often put a piece of beefsteak
inside his baseball glove to protect his catching hand from
6) During the 1899 and 1900 season, who did Young pitch
- Cleveland Indians
- St. Louis Perfectos
- Chicago White Stockings
- Philadelphia Athletics
7) Young joined the American League's Boston
Americans for a $3,500 contract ($91,224 in current dollar terms).
8) Young and his team played the Pittsburgh
Pirates in the first modern World Series in 1903. Young, who
started Game One against the visiting Pirates, thus threw the
first pitch in modern World Series history.
9) Young pitched a Perfect Game on May 5, 1904
against the Philadelphia Athletics.
Who did he pitch
- Rube Waddell
- Lee Richmond
- John Ward
- Nolan Ryan
10) Young was traded back to Cleveland, the place
where he played over half his career, before the 1909 season, to
the Cleveland Naps of the American League. He split 1911, his
final year, between the Naps and the Boston Rustlers.
What team is the Boston Rustlers known as today?
- Boston Red Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Atlanta Braves
- Florida Marlins
11) What was Young’s career wins?
12) From 1912 until his death, Cy Young lived and
worked on his farm. His wife, Robba, whom he had known since
childhood, lived with him until her death.
13) In 1956, about one year after Young's death,
The Cy Young Award was created. Originally, it was a single award
covering the whole of baseball. The honor was divided into two Cy
Young Awards in 1967, one for each league.
Who was awarded
the first Cy Young Award?
- Sandy Koufax
- Don Newcombe
- Whitey Ford
- Clay Allison
14) On November 4, 1955, Cy Young died on his
farm at the age of 88.
15) Where is Cy Young buried?
- Peoli Cemetery, Peoli, Ohio
- Assumption Cemetery, Bolivar, Ohio
- Calvary (New Philadelphia), New Philadelphia, Ohio
- Dundee Cemetery, Dundee, Ohio