Two-Grain Pilaf With
8 (1/2-cup) servings
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 48 min.
- 3/4 - cup water
- 1/2 - cup uncooked wild rice,
- 1 - can (14-ounce) chicken broth
- 1 - teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 - teaspoon salt
- 1/2 - teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 - teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 - cup uncooked barley
- 2 - Tablespoons butter
- 1 - medium (1/2 cup) carrot, thinly
- 1 - cup sliced or chopped
fresh shiitake and/or chanterelle mushrooms
- 1 - rib (1/2 cup) celery, sliced
- 1 - medium (1/2 cup) onion, chopped
- In a 3-quart saucepan, you want to
combine water, rice, chicken broth, thyme, salt, marjoram and
- Cook over medium-high heat for 7 to 10
minutes or until mixture comes to a full boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Add
barley; continue cooking for 40 to 45 minutes or until water is
absorbed and rice and barley are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in 10-inch
skillet until sizzling; add carrot.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring
occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, celery and onion.
- Continue cooking, stirring
occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until celery is crisply tender.
Stir carrot mixture into rice mixture.