The NFL Today
What do you know about The NFL Today? Try this
TV Trivia quiz. You'll find the answers at the bottom of the page.
On September 17, 1961, CBS Sports broadcast the first remote 15-minute
pre-game show, the first of its kind on network sports television. The
show (with host Johnny Lujack) originated from NFL stadiums around the
country with a comprehensive look at all the day's games. What was show
2. During the 1964 NFL season, Frank Gifford began hosting
Report, which later that season, would be called
The NFL Today.
This version of The NFL Today
was a 15-minute, regional sports
program that presented interviews with National Football League players
and coaches, and news and features about the NFL.
3. When did the show go from 15-minutes to 30-minutes?
4. In 1974, CBS abandoned the pre-recorded show
The NFL Today for
a live, wrap-around style show. It would start one-half hour before
kickoff of either the singleheader or doubleheader telecast (12:30, 1:30
or 3:30 p.m. Eastern Time). What was the show's title?
The CBS NFL Report
CBSs First and Ten
The NFL on CBS
5. In 1975, it goes back to The NFL Today. Who was the
6. After the 1989 NFL season, Musberger was abruptly fired following
a power shift at CBS on April 1, 1990. Who replaced him as the host?
7. Who was
NOT a member of the broadcast team?
8. After the 1993 season, CBS Sports' contract with the NFL to
transmit NFC games ended, and the NFC rights were passed to Fox Sports.
NFL Today had a four-year break along with
The NFL on CBS
from the 1994 to the 1997 NFL seasons.
9. In 1998, NBC Sports' AFC contract expired, and CBS Sports took
over the rights to telecast its games. The NFL Today returns to the air.
Who became the host?
10. On February 6, 2006, who does CBS Sports announce as the new host
of the The NFL Today?