Choose an answer from the three choices
and True or False offered after each question and then "Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
ESPN, originally an acronym for Entertainment and Sports Programming
Network, is an American cable television network dedicated to
broadcasting and producing sports-related programming 24 hours a day.
Along with his son, who founded the network?
- Bill Rasmussen
- Lee Leonard
- George Grande
2. When did ESPN debut?
- September 7, 1979
- March 6, 1979
- February 6, 1947
3. Lasting from 1982 to 1984, ESPN works with a professional sport
and marked its initial foray into the American professional sports
sector. What was the professional sports?
- Major League Baseball
- National Football League
- National Basketball Association
4. In 1987, ESPN gained partial rights to the National Football
League. The league agreed to the deal as long as ESPN agreed to
simulcast the games on local television stations in the participating
markets. What did the show become known as?
- ESPN Sunday Night Football
- Monday Night Football
- ESPN Thursday Night Football
5. First regular season game broadcast was New England Patriots at
New York Giants, November 8, 1987 (Giants won, 17-10).
6. In 1990, ESPN added Major League Baseball to its lineup with a
$400 million contract; the contract has been renewed and will continue
through at least 2011. Who is NOT a longtime voices of the
network's centerpiece Sunday Night Baseball.
- Jon Miller
- Joe Morgan
- Johnny Bench
7. In 1993, ESPN2 was founded, with Keith Olbermann and Suzy Kolber
launching the network with SportsNite.
8. Just before ESPN launched, Getty Oil Company (later purchased by
Texaco, which in turn was acquired by Chevron) agreed to buy a majority
stake in the network. In 1984, ABC made a deal with Getty Oil to acquire
ESPN. What year did the Walt Disney Company purchase Capital Cities/ABC
for $19 billion and pick up an 80% stake in ESPN at that time?
9. Where is the headquarters for ESPN?
- Bristol, Connecticut
- New York, New York
- Charlotte, North Carolina
10. ESPN's signature telecast is
SportsCenter. How many
episodes has been aired up to February 11, 2007.
- 30,000 episodes
- 60,000 episodes
- 90,000 episodes