Born: June 16, 1911, Granite City, Illinois
Died: October 22, 1964, Los Angeles, California
Whip Wilson was an
American cowboy film star of the late 1940s and into the 1950s, known
for his roles in B-westerns.
What do you know about Whip
Wilson? Try this Western Stars Quick Quiz.
1. What was Wilson's birth name?
William Owens Wilson
Marvin Otto Greeters
Roland Charles Meyers
2. Wilson had been a moderately successful singer
before coming to Hollywood.
3. Who did producer Scott R. Dunlap saw Wilson and
thought he looked similar to what Cowboy actor?
4. What studio introduced Wilson?
5. Monogram Pictures introduced Wilson to the
public this way: "He was born on a fabulous ranch in Pecos, Texas,
was a rodeo champion, has a engineering degree, is a direct descendant
of General Custer, and he was a World War II Marine hero, and he does
his own movie stunts."
6. His first film was alongside singing cowboy
Jimmy Wakely in a 1948 film. What was the film?
Circle W Riders
7. He first was given a horse named "Silver
Bullet", later shortened to "Bullet", then changed to due
to Roy Rogers having a dog in his films named "Bullet." What
was the final name?
8. Who was Wilson's original side-kick?
9. On October 22, 1964, Wilson died at the age of
53. What was the cause of death?
Horse riding accident