October 31, 1936, Forest Hills, New York
Died: July 1, 1991 (aged 54), Malibu, California
Michael Landon (Eugene Maurice Orowitz) was an American
actor, writer, director, and producer, who starred in three
popular NBC TV series that spanned three decades. He is widely
known for his roles as Little Joe Cartwright in Bonanza
(1959-1973), Charles Ingalls in Little House on the Prairie
(1974-1983), and Jonathan Smith in Highway to Heaven
What do you know about Michael Landon? Try this quick quiz.
1. Based on a popular song, this is the tale of a Rebel
soldier at the close of the Civil War, who is pursued by a
carpet-bagger lawman. In this 1959 film, Landon plays the
title character. What is the movie?
2. Two brothers on the run from a posse stop and help Mark
who is stuck on a ledge. The younger of two (Michael Landon) breaks his leg and
a grateful Lucas allows him to recuperate on the ranch. He
gets a taste of life without having to run and when his
brother returns for him he must decide on which course his
life will take. The episode was '"End of a Young
Gun". What was the TV series?
3. Michael Landon was the only original cast member to be
wig-free throughout the series. True or False?
4. Along with Lorne Greene, Landon appeared in all seasons
of the western. How many seasons was that?
5. When did he write his first script?
6. When did he directed his first episode.
7. In Little House on the Prairie, Landon's
real-life son, Michael, appeared as Jim in an episode. What
was the episode?
8. Who was cast as school teacher Etta Plum during the
show's final season?
9. Doing his career, Michael Landon has won 10 Best Actor
Emmy Awards. Five for Bonanza and 5 for Little House
on the Prairie. True or False?
10. When was he inducted posthumously into the Western
Performers Hall of Fame at the National Cowboy & Western
Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City?