World War II Trivia Quiz
Choose an answer from the three choices
and True or False offered after each question and then "Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
1. On May 1, the Japanese take Mandalay and other ports. What
was the country?
2. It is May 4, The Battle of the Coral Sea begins: it will
last four days and is a first in that the ships on both sides
never are in sight of the other; but the Americans can claim an
overall victory. What aircraft carrier is sunk?
- USS Mannington
- USS Alexis
- USS Lexington
3. On May 5, heavy Japanese artillery attack on Corregidor.
4. On Corregidor, the last U.S. forces in the Philippines
surrender to the Japanese. About 12,000 are made prisoners. What
was the day?
5. It is May 8th. The Battle of the Coral Sea comes to an end.
This is the first time in naval history where two enemy fleets
fought without seeing each other. What badly damaged aircraft
carrier returns to Pearl Harbor for repairs?
- USS Williamsburg
- USS Yorktown
- USS Jamestown
6. On May 11th, an allied ship on the St. Lawrence River,
Canada is sunk. Who sinks the ship?
- German U-boat
- Japanese Submarine
- Italian Submarine
7. In the United States on May 15th, a bill creating the
Women's Auxiliary Army Corps (WAAC) is signed into law.
8. On May 25, in preparation for the next battle, the Japanese
naval strategists send diversionary forces. Where do they send the
- New Zealand
9. On May 26, Rommel begins a Spring offensive at the Gazala
line (west of Tobruk). The battle lasts well into June and ends
with a total victory for British Field Marshal Montgomery.
10. On May 29, what are the Jews in France ordered to wear?
- yellow Star of David
- Yom Kippur