12, 1893, Clark, Missouri
Died: April 8, 1981 (age 88), New York City, New York
Nelson Bradley was one of the main U.S.
Army field commanders in North Africa and Europe during World War II and
a General of the Army in the United States Army.
He was the last surviving five-star commissioned
officer of the United States. He was the first officer assigned to the
post of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
What do you know about General Omar Bradley?
"Take command of this World War 2 History Made Easy Quiz.
"Check Your Answers" at the end of
1. He graduated from West Point in 1915 as part of
a class that contained many future generals, and which military
historians have called, "The class the stars fell on". How
many graduates became generals?
2. Bradley joined the 19th Infantry Division in
August 1918, which was scheduled for European deployment, but the
influenza pandemic and the armistice prevented it.
3. In February 1941, he was promoted to brigadier
general (bypassing the rank of colonel) and sent to command Fort Benning
(the first from his class to become a general officer).
4. Bradley succeeded Patton as head of II Corps
and directed it in the final Tunisian battles. When did he succeed
- April, 1943
- May, 1943
- June, 1943
5. On D-Day, what did he command?
- First Army
- Fifth Army
- Tenth Army
6. When Patton's Third Army came online, what was
- 12th Army Group
- 17th Army Group
- 27th Army Group
7. Bradley used the advantage gained in March
1945, after Eisenhower authorized a difficult but successful Allied
offensive (Operation Veritable and Operation Grenade) in February 1945,
to break the German defenses and cross the Rhine into the industrial
heartland of the Ruhr.
8. By V-E Day, the 12th Army Group was a force of
four armies (1st, 3rd, 9th, and 15th). How many men were in the 12th
- 1.3 million men
- 2.3 million men
- 3.3 million men
9. On August 11, 1949 President Harry S. Truman
appointed Gen. Bradley to this new position. What position was he the
first to hold?
- Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- Secretary of Homeland Security
- Secretary of Defense
10. From 1958 to 1973, he was the Chairman of the
Board of what company?
- Bulova Watch Company
11. Where is Omar Bradley buried?
- Mount Hope Cemetery, Anson, Texas
- Fern Oak Cemetery, Griffith, Indiana
- Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington,