USS Nevada (BB-36), the second United
States Navy ship to be named after the 36th state, was the lead
ship of the two Nevada-class battleships; her sister ship was
Oklahoma. Launched in 1914, the Nevada was a leap forward in
dreadnought technology; three of her new features would be
included on almost every subsequent US battleship: gun turrets
with three guns, oil in place of coal for fuel, and the "all or
nothing" armor principle. These features made Nevada the
first US Navy "super-dreadnought".
What do you know about the USS Nevada?
Attack with this World War 2 History Made Easy Trivia Quiz. "Check
Your Answers" at the end of the page.
1) What is the Nevada's nickname?
- The Bonanza Ship
- Cheer Up Ship
- Remains Here Ship
- Come Back Home Ship
2) The Nevada's displacement: (in 1916) is 27,500 tons
and (after WWII overhaul) it is 30,500 tons.
3) In miles per hour (mph), what is the top speed of the
- 18 mph
- 20 mph
- 22 mph
- 24 mph
4) At 14 mph, what is the endurance of the Nevada?
- 7,982 miles
- 5,892 miles
- 2,222 miles
- 1,111 miles
5) Capt. William S. Sims, commands the Nevada from March 11,
1916 to December 30, 1916. How is the ship�s captain during
the Attack on Pearl Harbor?
- Capt. F.W. Scanland
- Capt. Robert L. Ghormley
- Capt. C.B. Mayo
- Capt. R.A. Theobald
6) When the sun rose over Nevada on the 7th, the
ship's band was playing "Morning Colors"; but planes then appeared
on the horizon and the attack on Pearl Harbor began.
7) A single 18 inch Type 91 Mod 2 torpedo exploded against
Frame 41 about 14 feet above the keel at 0810. The torpedo
bulkhead held, but leaking through joints caused flooding and a
list of 4-5�. The Nevada corrects the list through
counter-flooding and gets underway. What is the time the
Nevada got underway?
8) At about 0950, Nevada is struck by five bombs. What
is he dock the Nevada is passing?
- Spam Dock
- Ten-Ten Dock
- Kaunda Dock
- Circle G Dock
9) The Nevada is ordered to proceed to the west side
of Ford Island to prevent her from being sunk in the channel.
Instead, she is grounded off Hospital Point at 1030, with the help
of Hoga and Avocet, though she managed to force
down three planes before she hit bottom. Over the course of
the morning, Nevada suffered 109 wounded. During the attack, what
is the ship�s death toll?
- 30 KIA
- 60 KIA
- 90 KIA
- 130 KIA
10) The Nevada is never refloated.