What was Second Wave Composition
second wave consisted of 171 planes: 54 B5Ns, 81 D3As, and 36 A6Ms,
commanded by Lieutenant-Commander Shigekazu Shimazaki. Four planes
failed to launch because of technical difficulties. This wave and its
- 1st Group 54 B5Ns armed with 550 lb and 120
lb general purpose bombs
- 27 B5Ns aircraft and hangars on
Kaneohe, Ford Island, and Barbers Point
- 27 B5N hangars and aircraft on Hickam
- 2nd Group (targets: aircraft carriers and
- 81 D3As armed with 550 lb general purpose
bombs, in four sections
- 3rd Group (targets: aircraft at Ford
Island, Hickham Field, Wheeler Field, Barber's Point, Kaneohe)
- 36 A6Ms for defense and strafing
What do you know about the second wave attack? Take
this World War II Quick Quiz.
1. How long did the surprise attack on Pearl
2. How many fatalities came from the USS Arizona?
3. What was the battleship deliberately beached?
4. What was the battleship that was kept afloat,
but were ordered to abandon ship?
5. What was the battleship hit by seven torpedoes?
6. Besides damage to the battleships, what were
the other ships damaged or destroyed during the attack?
7. Of the 402 American aircraft in Hawaii, how
many were destroyed or damaged?
8. What was Japanese casualties?