Born: May 5, 1887, Vernon, Utah
Died: December 7, 1941 (age 54), Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
Sharp Bennion is a captain in the United States Navy who diesduring the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. While mortally wounded, he
remains in command of his ship for conspicuous devotion to duty,
extraordinary courage, and complete disregard of his own life, he is
posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.
What do you know about Medal of Honor recipient
Mervyn Bennion? Try this World War-2 Medal of Honor Quiz.
"Check Your Answers" at the bottom of the page.
1. Mervyn's Welsh grandfather, John Bennion, had immigrated to Utah
with the Mormon pioneers and established successful cattle operations
near Taylorsville, Utah.
2. In 1910, Bennion graduated from the United States Naval Academy.
What was his class ranking?
3. In the engineering division, what ship was his first assignment
after graduation was on?
- USS California
- USS Arizona
- USS Nevada
4. Bennion became an ordnance and gunnery specialist. During World
War I, he commanded the batteries aboard what ship?
- USS North Dakota
- USS Illinois
- USS Pennsylvania
5. Bennion's first command was the destroyer USS Bernadou,
followed by command of Destroyer Division One.
6. When did he assume command of the USS
- July 2, 1941
- July 12, 1941
- July 22, 1941
7. Captain Bennion was hit by shrapnel from a bomb that blew up part
of his command deck. Using one arm to hold his wounds closed, he bled to
death while still commanding his crew.
8. Where is Mervyn Bennion buried?
- Salt Lake City Cemetery, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Mount Olivet Cemetery, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Saint George City Cemetery, Saint George, Utah