8th US Army Air Force
What do you know about
8th US Army Air Force?
US World War 2 History Made Easy Quiz.
"Check Your Answers" at the end of
1) When was the 8th Air Force activated?
- January 1, 1942
- February 1, 1942
- March 1, 1942
2) Who was the first commander?
- Major General Carl A. Spaatz
- Major General Michael Wallace
- Major General Lee Rogers
3) Eighth Air Force deployed overseas and was headquartered at
Bushy Park, England effective June 25, 1942.
4) The first combat group of VIII Bomber Command of the 8th AAF
to arrive in the United Kingdom was the ground echelon of the 97th
Bombardment Group, which arrived on June 9, 1942.
What RAF air
field were they assigned?
- RAF Polebrook
- RAF Wingate
- RAF Bond Park
5) After a few weeks of familiarization training with the new
aircraft, six American crews from the 15th Bomb Squadron joined
with six RAF crews from RAF Swanton Morley for a low-level attack
on Luftwaffe airfields in the Netherlands, becoming the first
USAAF unit to bomb targets in Europe.
What was the date?
- July 4, 1942
- August 4, 1942
- December 4, 1942
6) At the end of July, who replaced Lieutenant Colonel Cousland
as CO of the 97th Bombardment Group at RAF Grafton Underwood?
- Colonel Frank A. Armstrong
- Colonel Mark Reynolds
- Colonel James Stewart
7) The VIII Fighter Command was constituted initially as
"VIII Interceptor Command" at Selfridge Field, Michigan
on January 19, 1942.
8) The VIII Ground Air Support Command was constituted on April
24, 1942 at Bolling Field, Washington, D.C. and assigned to Eighth
Air Force. It was deployed to England, without personnel or
equipment in June 1942, being redesignated "VIII Air Support
Command". The mission of VIII Air Support Command was
initially training and reconnaissance and troop transport.
9) On February 22, 1944 a massive reorganization of American
airpower took place in Europe. The VIII Bomber Command and Ninth
Air Force were brought under control of a centralized headquarters
for command and control of the United States Army Air Forces in
Europe. What was the name of the new command?
- United States Strategic Air Forces (USSTAF)
- United States Bomber Air Forces (USBAF)
- Command United States Army Air Forces (CUSAAF)
10) As part of this plan, Eighth Air Force headquarters was
reassigned to Okinawa, being assigned to the United States
Strategic Air Forces in the Pacific. What was the date?
- July 16, 1944
- July 16, 1945
- July 16, 1946