US Fifth Army
What do you know about
US Fifth Army?
US World War 2 History Made Easy Quiz.
"Check Your Answers" at the end of
1) It was responsible for the defense of Algeria and Morocco.
It was also given the responsibility for planning the American
part of the invasion of mainland Italy.
When was the unit
- January 4, 1943
- February 6, 1943
- March 6, 1943
2) Who was the first commander of the Fifth Army?
- Lieutenant General Mark W. Clark
- Lieutenant General Michael McWeeny
- Lieutenant General Mark Reynolds
3) It first saw action during the assault landings at Salerno
in September 1943.
What was the operation name?
- Operation Quicksilver
- Operation Avalanche
- Operation Chuckwagon
4) Due to the low numbers of American troops available in
theatre it was made up of one American and one British corps.
was the American corps?
- US VI Corps
- US X Corps
- US XX Corps
5) On January 22, 1944, VI Corps made a landing in Operation
Where did they land?
6) The US Fifth Army made numerous attacks on Monte Cassino.
What was Monte Cassino?
- Benedictine monastery
- Gambling Casino
- Lutheran seminary
7) In the 2nd half of 1944, the Allied force on Italian Front
within the US 5th Army and 8th British Army resembled more a
multi-national force being constituted by: Americans (including
segregated African/and/Japanese-Americans), British, French,
members of French and British colonies (New Zealanders, Canadians,
Indians, Gurkhas, Black Africans, Morrocans, Algerians, Jews and
Arabs from the British Mandate in Palestine, South Africans), as
well as Brazilians and exiled forces from Poland, Greece, former
Czeckoslovakia and anti-fascist Italians.
8) In December 1944, who became the US Fifth Army commander?
- Lucian Truscott
- Abraham Sutton
- George Patton
9) In the final operations against the German Army Group C, the
Eighth Army initiated the main offensive on the Adriatic coast,
and then the Fifth Army also broke through the German defenses.
The Fifth Army's break through was around what Italian city?
10) Its role in Italy cost Fifth Army dearly. It suffered
109,642 casualties in 602 days of combat. 19,475 were killed in
action. October 1945 saw Fifth Army deactivated in Italy. It was
reactivated in Chicago under the command of Major-General John P.
Lucas. When was it reactivated?
- December 1946
- February 1946
- June 1946