B-17 Flying Fortress
What do you know about the
B-17 Flying Fortress?
with this World War II History Made Easy Quiz.
"Check Your Answers" at the end of
Who was the manufacturer of the bomber?
2) The B-17 was primarily employed in the daylight precision
strategic bombing campaign of World War II against German
industrial and military targets.
3) When did the prototype Model 299 make its first test
- July 28, 1935
- July 4, 1936
- July 15, 1939
4) The first Eighth Air Force units arrived in High Wycombe,
England on May 12, 1942, to form the 97th Bomb Group.
When was the
first mission over Europe?
- July 4, 1942
- August 17, 1942
- August 30, 1942
5) What was the cruising speed of the B-17?
- 152 mph
- 182 mph
- 202 mph
6) Bombs: it theoretically could carry 17,417 lbs. of bombs.
What was the B-17 common combat missions weight?
- 4,071 lbs.
- 5,071 lbs.
- 10,071 lbs.
7) James Stewart (1908-1997)
a Academy Award-winning film
actor, instructed in B-17s before flying 20 combat missions in
B-24s with the 8th Air Force, England; retired from Air Force
Reserve a Brigadier General.
8) What is NOT a Noted B-17?
- Memphis Belle
- My Gal Sal
- The Space Cowboy
9) What was Nancy Love (1914-1976) and Betty
Gillies (1908-1998) B-17 accomplishments?
- The first women to be certified to fly the B-17, in 1943.
- The first women to be wounded flying B-17, in 1944.
- The first women to fly into Japan after the war.
10) This film was made with the full cooperation of the United
States Air Force and made use of actual combat footage.
the 1949 movie about a B-17 squadron in England?
- Sky High Europe
- Twelve O'clock High
- Crash Landing