What do you know about
Defend with this
World War II History Made Easy quiz.
"Check Your Answers" at the end of
The Republic P-47 Thunderbolt was the largest single-engines
fighter of its day, and a vast improvement over the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, its predecessor.
What was the fighter also known as?
2) When did the P-47 make its maiden flight?
- July 4, 1941
- May 6, 1941
- December 1, 1941
3) What was the initial fighter group that flew the P-47?
- 65th Fighter Group
- 75th Fighter Group
- 56th Fighter Group
4) Major Don Blakeslee of the 4th FG scoring the Thunderbolt's
first air victory.
5) Republic could not produce Thunderbolts fast enough at its
Farmingdale plant on Long Island, so a new plant was built.
was the new plant's location?
- Evansville, Indiana
- South Bend, Indiana
- Mount Vernon, Illinois
6) Steve Earle's song is about an American P-47 pilot in World
War II; it contains a verse "My P-47 is a pretty good ship/
She took a round comin' cross the channel last trip."
- Going Home to Betty
- My Home
- Johnny Come Lately
7) The P-47 served with the Army Air Forces (United States Air
Force after 1947) until 1949, and with the Air National Guard
until 1953. In 1948 it received a new designation.
What was the
8) The P-47N was the last Thunderbolt variant to be produced.
It was designed as an escort fighter for the B-29 Superfortress
Where was their missions?
9) The P-47 gradually became the USAAF's best fighter-bomber,
carrying the 500 pound bombs, the triple-tube M-8 4.5 inch rocket
launchers, and eventually HVARs.
10) What was the nickname for the bubbletop P-47s by combat
pilots in the field?
- High Prince
- Lookout Watch