What do you know about
Defend with this
World War II History Made Easy quiz.
"Check Your Answers" at the end of
Operation Overlord was the phase in the Western front of World War
II that was fought in 1944 between German forces and the invading
Allied forces. The campaign began with Normandy Landings on June
6, 1944 (commonly known as D-Day), among the largest amphibious
assaults ever conducted when nearly three million troops crossed
the English Channel and ended on August 25, 1944, with the
liberation of Paris.
What event does some historians believe was
the end of Operation Overlord?
- Battle for Caen
- Battle of Cherbourg
- Operation Cobra
2) The Battle of Cherbourg was part of the Battle of Normandy
during World War II. It was fought immediately after the
successful Allied landings on June 6, 1944.
Who commanded the
- Friedrich Dollman
- J. Lawton Collins
- Edward R. Morrow
3) When Montebourg collapsed, American troops found several
large caches of V-1 flying bombs were discovered in addition to a
V-2 rocket installation at Brix.
4) Originally the Allies aimed to take the French city of Caen,
one of the largest cities in Normandy on D-Day +5.
5) The first attempt to capture Caen was by direct assault from
Sword Beach from the assaulting landing on June 6. The attack was
stopped by the The 21st Panzer Division.
Who was the assaulting
- 1st Infantry Division (UK)
- 3rd Infantry Division (UK)
- 10th Infantry Division (UK)
6) Today there is a British military cemetery in Tilly-sur-Seulles, as well as a museum that gives information
about the battle. Nearby is the smallest military cemetery in
What is the smallest cemetery named?
- Tilly-sur-Seulles Cemetery
- Jerusalem War Cemetery
- Saving Heaven Cemetery
7) It began as Operation Epsom. Three attacks were carried out
by British and Canadian units of VIII Corps.
What was the day the
- June 15
- June 26
- July 1
8) An operation planned by United States Army General Omar
Bradley for the break out from the Normandy area after the
previous month's D-Day landings.
What was the codename?
- Operation Tiger
- Operation Cobra
- Operation Custer
9) At noon on August 1, the U.S. 3rd Army was activated, taking
control of the VIII Corps as planned prior to the invasion.
commanded the 3rd Army?
- General George S. Patton
- General Courtney Hodges
- General Omar Bradley
10) During August 1944, the area between the four towns of Trun,
Argentan, Vimoutiers and Chambois near Falaise in France, in which
Allied forces tried to encircle and destroy the German Seventh
Army and Fifth Panzer Army as part of the larger Battle of
Normandy, during World War II.
What was the region known as?
- Falaise pocket
- Keman Gap
- Match pocket