What do you know about
Defend with this
World War II History Made Easy quiz.
"Check Your Answers" at the end of
What was the date of the P-38s maiden flight?
- January 27, 1939
- February 6, 1940
- March 6, 1941
2) What was the first air force unit to get the new P-38s?
- 1st Fighter Group
- 3rd Fighter Group.
- 6th Fighter Group
3) On 14 August, a P-38F and a P-40 operating out of Iceland
shot down a Focke-Wulf Fw 200 Condor over the Atlantic. This was
the first Luftwaffe aircraft destroyed by the USAAF.
4) The P-38 was used most extensively and successfully in the
European theater, where it proved ideally suited, combining
excellent performance with very long range.
5) The 339th Fighter Squadron flight of P-38s flew Operation
Vengeance to kill a Japanese admiral on April 18, 1943, during the
Solomon Islands campaign in the Pacific Theater of World War II.
Who was the admiral?
- Togo Heihachiro
- Hiroyasu Fushimi
- Isoroku Yamamoto
6) Flying a P-38, who was the World War II "Ace of Aces"?
- Chuck Yeager
- Barry Goldwater
- Richard Bong
7) Major Thomas Buchanan McGuire Jr. was the second highest
scoring American ace during World War II, whose memory was
preserved by the naming of McGuire Air Force Base in Burlington
County, New Jersey. How many aircraft was he credited in shooting
8) Who was the civilian that shot down, on July 28, 1944, a
Mitsubishi Ki-51 Sonia.
- Moses Richardson
- Charles Lindbergh
- Mark Reynolds
9) The noted aviation pioneer and writer Antoine de Saint-Exupery
vanished in an F-5 (recon P-38) while on a flight over the
Mediterranean, from Corsica to mainland France, on July 31, 1944.
10) Who was the seventh-ranking American ace also flew a
Lightning against the Japanese, scoring 27 kills in his famous
aircraft, the "Putt Putt Maru"?
- Charles H. MacDonald
- Dick McDonald
- Barry Montgomery