The Battle of the Coral Sea
What do you know about
The Battle of the Coral Sea?
US World War II
History Made Easy Quiz.
"Check Your Answers" at the end of the page.
In April 1942, Japanese forces left their stronghold to attack
both American and Australian forces.
What was the Japanese
- Port Morseby
- King of Prussia
2) The Battle of the Coral Sea was the first fleet action in
which aircraft carriers engaged each other. It was also the first
naval battle in history in which neither side's ships sighted or
fired directly upon the other.
3) What was NOT a carrier at the Coral Sea?
- USS Lexington
- USS Enterprise
- USS Yorktown
4) Who commanded the Allied forces?
- Chester A. Nimitz
- John C. McCain
- Frank Jack Fletcher
5) How many Japanese carrier(s) were destroyed at the Coral
6) How many Allied carrier(s) were destroyed at the Coral Sea?
7) The Battle of the Coral Sea was a victory for the Japanese
8) Who commanded the Japanese forces?
- Hideki Tōjō
- Takeo Takagi
- Kimo Neosho
9) The Battle of the Coral Sea ended on what date?
- May 13, 1942
- May 8, 1942
- June 4, 1942
10) It was only minutes after the Japanese raid on Task Force
44 under Australian Rear Admiral John Crace. His force was
inadvertently attacked by friendly B-17s.
What was the name of one
of the cruisers that had to (besides attack by enemy forces) face
damage by friendly fire?
- USS Farragut
- USS Viking
- USS Ranger