Escalation and Ground War
What do you know about the
Escalation and Ground War. Try this quick
and easy Vietnam War trivia quiz. (Answers at the bottom of the page.)
Between December 28, 1964 – January 1, 1965, Army of the Republic of
Vietnam (ARVN) forces suffered heavy losses. What was the battle?
- Battle of Buffalo Ridge
- Battle of Binh Gia
- Battle of Heartbreak Ridge
2. Escalation of the Vietnam War officially started when orders were
cut and issued to mobilize the 18th TAC Fighter Squadron from Okinawa to
Da Nang Air Force Base (AFB). What was the date?
- January 31, 1965
- February 6, 1965
- March 6, 1965
3. The ARVN was again defeated in June, at the Battle of Dong Xoai.
4. Who said, "I am convinced that U.S. troops with their energy,
mobility, and firepower can successfully take the fight to the NLF
[National Front for the Liberation of South Vietnam]?"
- Admiral Grant Sharp
- General William Westmoreland
- President Lyndon Johnson
5. During the Vietnam War, it is widely held that the average U.S.
serviceman was 19. Vietnam Helicopter Flight Crew believe their crews
had an average age of 22. However, was is the average age of troops in
World War II?
6. The average age of the US Military men who died in Vietnam was
22.8 years old.
7. The one-year tour of duty deprived units of experienced
leadership. As one observer noted "we were not in Vietnam for 10
years, but for one year 10 times." As a result, training programs
were shortened. What were some Non Commissioned Officers (NCOs) referred
to as due to their accelerated training.
- Coffee 'N' Cream
- Shake 'N' Bake
- Bacon 'N' Eggs
8. One unidentified soldier said to United Press International that
there was nothing to do in Vietnam and therefore many of the men smoked
9. Washington encouraged its SEATO allies to contribute troops. Major
allies, however, declined Washington's troop requests. Who did NOT send
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom
10. By the end of what year, when did Westmoreland predicted victory?