In the Beginning
What do you know about the
In the Beginning?
Take this quick
What Do You Know About
"Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
1) Motorcycles are descended from the
"safety bicycle," a bicycle
with front and rear wheels of the same size and a pedal crank mechanism
to drive the rear wheel.
2) The inspiration for the earliest dirt bike, and arguably the first
motorcycle, was designed and built in what country in 1885? The first
petroleum-powered vehicle, it was essentially a motorized bicycle.
WHAT was the country?
- United Kingdom
3) However, if one counts two wheels with steam propulsion as being a
motorcycle, then the first one may have been American. The machine
pre-dates the invention of the safety bicycle by many years, so its
chassis is based on the "boneshaker" bike.
Roxbury, Massachusetts built the bike In 1867?
- Sylvester Howard Roper
- Augusta G. Harper
- Maynard G. Creebs
4) Boneshaker is a name used from about 1869 up to the present
time, to refer to the first type of true bicycle with pedals, which was
called "velocipede" (from the Latin for "fast foot") by its
manufacturers. "Boneshaker" refers to the extremely uncomfortable
ride, which was caused by the stiff wrought-iron frame and wooden wheels
surrounded by tires made of iron.
5) Chief August Vollmer is credited with organizing the first
official Police Motorcycle Patrol in the United States in 1911.
was the community?
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Denver, Colorado
- Berkeley, California
6) By 1904, motorcycles were no longer just bicycles with engines;
they had their own technologies, although many still maintained bicycle
elements, like the seats and suspension.
7). By 1931, there were only two American manufacturers producing
WHO was NOT an American motorcycle
8) WHAT company purchased Triumph Motorcycles in 1951 to become the
largest producer of motorcycles in the world claiming "one in four"?
- The BSA Group
- British Motor Company
9) Currently, the largest motorcycle market is the small machines
market for the developing world, hence the claim from an Indian
motorcycle company to be the world's new biggest bike firm.
WHAT is the firm?
- Hero Honda
- Small HOG
10) The small-capacity scooter is very popular through most of the
WHAT Italian company is one of the world's largest producers of