1779, Lamberton, New Jersey
Died: April 27, 1813 (age 34), Toronto, Canada
Montgomery Pike Jr. was an American
soldier and explorer for whom Pikes Peak in Colorado is named. His Pike
expedition, often compared to the Lewis and Clark Expedition, mapped
much of the southern portion of the Louisiana Purchase.
What do you know about Zebulon Pike? Try this
Old West History Made Easy Quiz. "Check Your Answers" at the end of
1. During the Revolutionary War, who was his
father, an officer for in the Continental Army?
- George Washington
- John Sullivan
- Nathaniel Greene
2. In 1801, who did Pike marry?
- Clarissa Harlow Brown
- Mildred Ann Hill
- Amy Lynn Chandler
3. His military career changed when he was taken
under by Governor of the Upper Louisiana Territory. Who was the
- General James Wilkinson
- General David Jackson
- General Myron C. Ferguson
4. In 1805, Pike was order to find the source of
- Mississippi River
- Missouri River
- Colorado River
5. On his way to the source, Pike encountered the
Sauk leader, Black Hawk, along the banks of the Rock River. According to
Black Hawk's account, Pike received meat and provisions and presented an
American flag to him and his people. He considered Pike "a good
man" and "a great brave." Pike also bought 100,000 acres
of the Sioux Indian's land for $200 and hunting rights.
6. Pike was ordered out once again to lead an
exploratory expedition to find the headwaters of the Arkansas River and
Red River. Near St. Louis on July 15, 1806, Pike led what is now known
as "the Pike expedition" to explore the southwest. Where did
they leave from?
- Fort Jackson
- Fort Lincoln
- Fort Bellefontaine
7. This journey ended with his capture on February
26, 1807 by Spanish authorities in northern New Mexico, now part of
Colorado. Pike and his men were taken to Santa Fe, then to Chihuahua
where he appeared before the Commandant General Salcedo. When was he
- May 1, 1807
- July 1, 1807
- December 1, 1807
8. Along with General Jacob Brown, Pike departed
from a rural military outpost, Sackets Harbor, on the New York shore for
his last military campaign. What is the lake in New York state?
- Lake Ontario
- Lake Meade
- Lake Erie
9. Pike was killed by flying rocks and other
debris when the retreating British garrison blew up its ammunition
without warning as the town's surrender negotiations were going on.
10. Where is Zebulon Pike buried?
- Military Cemetery, Sackets Harbor, New York
- Moriah Corners Cemetery, Moriah, New York
- Old Burying Ground, Salisbury, Massachusetts