1. True. In 1716, the Spanish government established several Roman Catholic
missions in East Texas. The new missions were over 400 miles from the nearest
Spanish settlement, San Juan Bautista.
2. False. The Alamo was the first in a chain of missions established nearby
along the San Antonio River.
3. True. On May 1, 1718, they built a temporary mud, brush and straw
structure to serve as a new mission, named San Antonio de Valero. About 1724, a
stone church was completed. The church, its tower and the sacristy fell down in
the late 1750s. A permanent Alamo complex was constructed in 1758.
4. True. Additional adobe or mud buildings were constructed to serve as
workrooms, storerooms, and homes for the Indian residents. At most, only 30 of
these buildings stood at one time.
5. False. The presidio, San Antonio de Bexar was built a mile from the
6. True. As the nearby presidio was perpetually understaffed, the mission was
built to withstand attacks by Apache and Comanche raiders. Walls were erected
around the Indian homes in 1758, likely in response to the massacre at the San
7. True. In 1793, mission San Antonio de Valero was secularized, and the
following year the four remaining missions at San Antonio were partially
secularized. The mission archives were removed to nearby San Fernando Church. In
1803, the abandoned compound was occupied by the Second Flying Company of San
Carlos de Parras, a company of Spanish soldiers from �lamo de Parras (in the
modern-day Mexican state of Coahuila). Locals often called them simply the
"Alamo Company", and their home the "Alamo". An alternate
theory of the origin of the name is that it derives from the Spanish word �lamo
(cottonwood), after the grove of nearby trees.
8. True. The building was occupied by Mexican forces almost continuously
until December 1835, when it was surrendered to Texan forces by General Mart�n
Perfecto de Cos during the Texas Revolution. In the few months that Cos had
supervised the troops garrisoned in San Antonio, he had ordered many
improvements to the Alamo. Cos's men likely demolished the four stone arches
that were to support a future chapel dome. The debris from these was used to
build a ramp to the apse of the chapel building. There, the Mexican soldiers
placed three cannon, which could fire over the walls of the roofless building.
To close a gap between the church and the barracks (formerly the convent
building) and the south wall, the soldiers built a palisade. When Cos retreated,
he left behind 19 cannon, including an 18-lber.