What do you know about
Christopher Columbus Quiz?
"Check Your Answers" at the end of
The name Christopher Columbus is the Anglicization of the Latin
Christophorus Columbus. His name in Italian is Cristoforo
Colombo, and in Spanish, it is Cristobel
2) Columbus was born before October 31, 1451 in territory, part
of modern Italy, though the exact location remains disputed.
What is the believed location?
Republic of Genoa
Republic of Ottoman
Republic of Dania
Republic of Corsica
3) Christopher Columbus� father was Domenico Colombo, a
middle-class wool weaver and who also owned a stand at which
young Christopher worked as a helper. What was the stand?
4) Christopher Columbus married Filipa Moniz Perestrelo,
daughter of the Porto Santo governor and Portuguese nobleman of
Lombard origin BartGolomeu Perestrello. In 1479 or 1480, his son
was born. Who was his son?
5) In 1485, Columbus presented his plans. He proposed that the
king equip three sturdy ships and grant Columbus one year's time
to sail out into the Atlantic, search for a western route to the
Orient, and return. Who did he present his plans to?
John II, King of Germany
John II, King of Greece
John II, King of Portugal
John II, King of England
6) After continually lobbying at the Spanish court, Ferdinand
and Isabella, and two years of negotiations, he finally had
success. About half of the financing was to come from private
English investors, whom Columbus had already lined up.
7) On the evening of August 3, 1492, Columbus departed from
Palos de la Frontera with three ships: a larger carrack, the
Santa Maria ex-Gallega ("Galician"), and two smaller caravels,
the Pinta ("Painted") and the Santa Clara, nicknamed the
(lit. "Girl") after her owner Juan Nino of Moguer. Where
did Columbus depart from?
Palos de la Frontera
8) A lookout on the Pinta, Rodrigo de Triana (also known as Juan
Rodriguez Bermeo), spotted land about 2:00 on the morning of
October 12, and immediately alerted the rest of the crew with a
shout. The captain of the Pinta, Marten Alonso Pinzon, verified
the discovery and alerted Columbus by firing a lombard. Columbus
later maintained that he had already seen a light on the land a
few hours earlier, thereby claiming the lifetime pension
promised by Ferdinand and Isabella to the first person to sight
9) On 13 January 1493, When did Columbus make his last stop of
this voyage in the New World?
January 1, 1493
January 13, 1493
January 23, 1493
February 6, 1493
10) When did Columbus arrive back in Spain?
February 15, 1493
February 29, 1493
March 15, 1493
March 30, 1493