New York State Geography
Choose an answer from the three choices or True or False
offered after each question and then "Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
1)At 5,344 feet, what is the highest point in the state of New York?
- Mount Albany
- Mount Georgia
- Mount Marcy
2) New York covers 54,475 square miles. What does it
rank with other states by size?
- 5th largest
- 15th largest
- 27th largest
3) What is NOT a Great Lake that touches New York
4) Of the Finger Lakes, which is the longest at 38.1
- Owasco Lake
- Cayuga Lake
- Seneca Lake
5) What New York mountain range is bordered on the
east by Lake Champlain and Lake George, which separate them from the
Green Mountains in Vermont?
- Adirondack Mountains
- Catskill Mountains
- Southern Tier Mountains
6) What is the lake that begins the Hudson River?
- Lake Tear of the Clouds
- Lake Winnebago
- Lake Frances
7) What is NOT one of the three islands
at the mouth of the Hudson River?
- Manhattan Island
- Long Island
- Short Island
8) At 4,180 feet, what is the highest point in the
- Slide Mountain
- Morgan Mountain
- Humphrey’s Peak
9) The Catskill Mountains are sometimes considered an
extension of the Appalachian Mountains into Upstate New York, although
they are not geologically related.
10) At Troy, New York, what river flows into the
- Tappan Zee River
- Mohawk River
- St. Lawrence River