West Virginia Geography
Choose an answer from the three choices
offered after each question and then "West Virginia Geography Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
What river does NOT form parts of West Virginia’s boundaries?
- Ohio River
- Potomac River
- Allegheny River
2. West Virginia is the only state in the
nation located entirely within the Appalachian Mountain range, and in
which all areas are mountainous; for this reason it is nicknamed The
3. What is West Virginia's highest
- Lowndes Hill
- Spruce Knob
- Bald Knob
4. The upper few hundred feet of the
mountain are covered in a dense spruce forest, a relict boreal forest
environment similar to forests found in northern New England and Canada.
What type of trees make up this forest?
5. The native vegetation for most of the
West Virginia was originally mixed hardwood forest. What type of
hardwood tree was NOT found in West Virginia?
6. West Virginia’s underlying rock
strata are sandstone, shale, bituminous coal beds, and limestone laid
down in a near shore environment from sediments derived from mountains
to the east, in a shallow inland sea on the west. The landscape of West
Virginia was formed how many years ago?
- 3,000 years ago
- 30,000 years ago
- 300 million years ago
7. Most of the state’s non-mountainous
plateau region is part of what plateau?
- Spencer Plateau
- Boone Plateau
- Allegheny Plateau
8. What national forest, in West
Virginia, was established by the U.S. Congress in 1915. It became a U.S.
National Forest on April 28, 1920 and now encompasses 910,155 acres.
- Harrison National Forest
- Wood National Forest
- Monogahela National Forest
9. What is West Virginia’s Lowest
- Potomac River at Harpers Ferry
- West Fork River at Clarksburg
- Ohio River at Vienna
10. What is West Virginia’ state
- Mountain Laurel