History Made Easy Quiz
What do you know about
the Clarksburg History Made Easy Quiz?
Try this West
Virginia History Made Easy Quiz.
Your Answers" at the end of the page.
The first documented visitor to the area now known as Clarksburg
was a trapper, who in 1764 located his camp on the West Fork River
opposite the mouth of Elk Creek. Who was the
- Rodney Allen
- Daniel Robertson
- John Simpson
- Morgan Walle
2) As early as the year 1772 settlers began
locating their lands near where Clarksburg now stands, and in 1773
Daniel Davisson took up 400 acres, upon which the principal part
of the town is now located.
3) The year 1774 found the following persons
settled in the neighborhood of Clarksburg, Daniel Davisson, Thomas
Nutter, Samuel Cottrill, Sotha Hickman, Samuel Beard, Andrew
Cottrill, Obadiah Davisson, John Nutter, Matthew Nutter and
Amaziah Davisson. There were no doubt others located on public
lands of which no official record was made. Who was
a early Clarksburg settler?
- Samuel Beard
- Samuel Cottrill
- Thomas Nutter
- Rodney White
4) What year was Clarksburg incorporated?
5) The city is named for General George Rogers
Clark,who gained great fame on the frontier by his many
expeditions against the British and Indians in the Indian Wars and
the war of the American Revolution, particularly by his bold
capture of the Fort of Vincennes now in the State of Indiana in
the year 1778.
6) The first Court House stood on what is now
the North East Corner of Second and Main Streets and the jail
stood on the opposite side of Main Street near where the
Presbyterian church now stands. What year was it built?
7) Clarksburg is the birthplace of General
Thomas J. Stonewall Jackson on January 21, 1824. Where is
his Historical Landmark sign is located?
- East Main Street and North Third Street
- Washington Ave and South Chestnut Street
- West Main Street and South Third Street
- West Pike Street and South Third Street
8) The Northwestern Turnpike, now known as
U.S. Route 50, chartered in 1827, and begun in 1831, reached
Clarksburg in 1836. What year was the road macadamized
from the Tygarts Valley River to Parkersburg?
9) In 1840, there was an established daily
line of stages and a regular mail service which made connection
with Ohio River steamers at Parkersburg.
10) What railroad reached Clarksburg
from Grafton in 1856.
- Baltimore and Ohio Railroad
- Burlington Northern
- New York Central
- Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway
11) Built in 1894 and named in honor of
Reverend George Towers, graduate of Oxford, England who was a
teacher at Randolph Academy. The Academy, authorized by the
Virginia Assembly in 1787, stood just to the east and was the
principal regional school from 1795 to 1843. The Northwestern
Virginia Academy, incorporated by the Virginia Legislature in
1842, occupied this site from 1843-1893. The historical marker is
located at 2nd Street, between Pike Street and Hewes Avenue,
Clarksburg. What is the name of the school?
- Hightower School
- Rogers School
- Salem School
- Towers School
12) These Oak Mounds are directly to the east
are two earthen, domed burial mounds of the historical marker on
WV 98 in front of VA Medical Center. The larger mound is some
sixty feet in diameter and twelve feet high. Excavations revealed
flint tools, pottery sherds and skeletal remains of two
individuals. Site dates to about 100 BC, late Early Woodland
Period. What year was the excavation?
13) These Oak Mounds are on the crown of the
hill to the east is a large Indian mound and to the west of it is
a smaller mound. These mounds have never been excavated but they
were probably built by the Hopewellian culture between A. D. 1 and
1000. The larger mound is about 12 feet high and 60 feet in
diameter. A number of burials of important persons of the culture
probably occur in these mounds. The site of this historical marker
is at the junction with Armory Road (19/57), Clarksburg.
What is the highway?
- US 19 (northbound)
- WV 79 (southbound)
- US 50 (eastbound)
- US 119 (northbound)
14) At the Jackson Cemetery is a cemetery
where members of the Stonewall Jackson family lie buried: his
father Jonathan, a sister Elizabeth, his great grandparents John
Jackson and wife Elizabeth Cummings. Buried here also are Mrs.
Mary Payne Jackson and Mrs. Mary Coles Payne, sister and mother of
Dorothy (Dolly) Madison, wife of President James Madison. Some
Civil War soldiers lie buried in this place; called Jackson Park.
This historical marker is on WV 20 (East Pike Street), near
junction with US 50, Clarksburg.
15) Waldomore, is a two-story Neo-Classical
brick mansion located in uptown Clarksburg, West Virginia. The
Waldomore was constructed in late 1839 for Waldo P. Goff on part
of a 4-acre tract that extended from Pike Street to Elk Creek. The
structure's name was coined by combining the names of the original
owners Waldo Goff and his wife Harriet L. Moore. The Waldomore was
donated to the City of Clarksburg by May Goff Lowndes (Mrs.
Richard T. Lowndes) in 1930 on the condition that it was to be
used as a public library or museum and for no other purpose. It
served as the Clarksburg Public Library from 1931 to 1976 and now
a museum and archive. When was the building listed on the
National Register of Historic Places?
- October 4, 1958
- October 4, 1968
- October 4, 1978
- October 4, 1988