New York State History Trivia
What do you know about
New York State History?
Alan's State by State Quiz.
"Check Your Answers" at the end of the page.
The western part of New York had been settled by the six nations of a
American Indian confederacy for at least 500 years before the first
What was the American Indian confederacy ?
2. Who was the first European explorer to enter New York Harbor, in
- John Cabot
- Henry Hudson
- Giovanni da Verrazzano
3. New Netherland, or Nieuw-Nederland in Dutch, was the
seventeenth-century colonial province of the Republic of the Seven
United Netherlands on the northeastern coast of North America.
4. In 1663 who purchased the grant of Long Island and other islands
on the New England coast, which had been made in 1635 to the Earl of
- Prince of Wales
- Duke of York
- Earl of Morgan
5. In 1710 Queen Anne's government had arranged the transport of
about 2800 European refugees in ten ships from London to New York.
Manhattan then had a population of only 6,000.
Who were these European
- Lorne French
- Northern Irish
- Palatine German
6. The capture of what fort provided the cannon and gunpowder
necessary to force a British withdrawal from the Siege of Boston in
- Fort Erie
- Fort Iroquois
- Fort Ticonderoga
7. In 1780, who unsuccessfully attempted to turn West Point over to
the British, a move that would have given the British control of the
- George Washington
- Aaron Burr
- Benedict Arnold
8. What was the canal derisively called "Clinton's Ditch"
or worse, "Clinton's Folly," the canal was finally completed
- Hudson Canal
- Pike's Canal
- Erie Canal
9. The New York Draft Riots (July 11 to July 16, 1863; known at the
time as "Draft Week"), were violent disturbances in New York
City that were the culmination of discontent with new laws passed by
Congress to draft men to fight in the ongoing American Civil War.
10. Who was the 33rd Governor of New York from January 1, 1899 to
December 31, 1900?
- William Howard Taft
- Theodore Roosevelt
- Franklin Roosevelt