Florida History Made Easy FUN
What do you know about Florida History. Take this Florida History
Made Easy Trivia.
Paleo-Indians entered what is now Florida at least 14,000 years
ago, after they are believed to have crossed over to North America from
2. At the time of first European contact, Florida was inhabited by
people belonging to a number of tribes. What was the estimated native
3. Juan Ponce de Le�n, while looking for the Fountain of Youth, is
the first European to discover Florida. What year did he find Florida?
4. Founded in 1565 by Pedro Men�ndez de Avil�s, it is the oldest
continuously inhabited European settlement in any U.S. state. What is
- Fort Lauderdale
- St. Augustine
5. In 1763, Spain traded Florida (which, at the time, extended south
only to around the area of present day Gainesville) to the Kingdom of
Great Britain for control of an area, which had been captured by the
British during the Seven Years' War. What did the Spanish gain control
- San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Key West, Florida
- Havana, Cuba
6. The Treaty of Paris ending the Revolutionary War returned all of
Florida to Spanish control. What was the year?
7. British settlers who had remained resented Spanish rule, leading
to a rebellion in 1810 and the establishment for exactly ninety days of
the so-called Free and Independent Republic of West Florida on September
23. After meetings beginning in June, rebels overcame the Spanish
garrison at Baton Rouge (now in Louisiana), and unfurled the flag of the
new republic: a single white star on a blue field. This flag would later
become known as the "Bonnie Blue Flag".
8. The Adams-On�s Treaty was signed between the United States and
Spain on February 22, 1819 and took effect on July 10, 1821. According
to the terms of the treaty, the United States acquired Florida and, in
exchange, renounced all claims to Texas. Andrew Jackson formally took
control of Florida from Spanish authorities on July 17, 1821. Where did
he take control?
- St. Augustine
9. On March 3, 1845, When did Florida become the 27th state of the
United States of America.
- March 3, 1845
- March 3, 1846
- March 3, 1847
10. Who was NOT born in Florida?
- Bob Villa
- Pat Boone
- Don Knotts