Choose an answer from the three choices
or True/False offered after each question and then "Check Your
Answers" at the end of the quiz.
Vivian Vance was born Vivian Roberta Jones on July 26, 1909 in
Cherryvale, Kansas. She was the second of six children born to Robert
Jones and Euphemia Ragan.
2. She initially had trouble finding stage work, but this soon changed
when she began a two-year stint in Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein's
Broadway musical. What was the 1932 Broadway musical?
- Music in the Air
- Songs From the Seashell
- Highway to Heaven
3. Her first movie is The Secret Fury (1950). The movie stars
Claudette Colbert and Robert Ryan. Who did Vivian play?
- Leah, the hotel maid
- Ellen R. Ewing
- Aunt Clara Ewing
4. Her second film is The Blue Veil (1951). It is a film drama
made by Wald/Krasna Productions and released by RKO Radio Pictures. It
tells the story of a child torn between the competing claims of his birth
mother and his adoptive mother. Vivian plays Alicia. Who is Stephanie
- Jane Wyman
- Joan Blondell
- Natalie Wood
5. Director Marc Daniels, who had previously worked with Vance in a
theater production, suggested her for the role of landlady Ethel Mertz.
She was not the first choice, however. Lucille Ball wanted a close friend
to play the role. Who was the friend?
- Bea Benaderet
- Kathryn Card
- Betty Ramsey
6. First person to win an Emmy Award for 'Best Supporting Actress' in
7. What was the age difference between William Frawley and Vivian?
- 0 years difference
- 10 years her senior
- 22 years her senior
8. In 1962, when Lucille Ball was planning to return to television in a
new series, she asked Vance to rejoin her. Vance reluctantly agreed, with
the stipulation that she be allowed to appear in more glamorous clothes,
as well as having her character be named "Vivian" (as she was
tired of the public addressing her as "Ethel"). Who did she play
in the series?
- Candy Moore
- Vivian Bagley
- Vivian Barnsdahl
9. In 1969, Vance returned to Broadway. What was the comedy she starred
- Truth or Confidence
- My Daughter, Your Son
- Come Home My Darling
10. In the 1970s, she discovered commercials were a lucrative way to
capitalize on fame, with a 3 year $250,000 contract. She became known as
Maxine. What was the product she did the commercials for?
- Maxwell House
- Budweiser Beer
- Home Security