The Atlanta Falcons are an American football team based in
Atlanta, Georgia. They are currently a member of the National Football
Conference (NFC) South division in the National Football League (NFL).
The Falcons joined the NFL in 1966 as an expansion team. In their 42
years of existence, the Falcons have compiled a record of 262-386-6 with
division championships in 1980, 1998 and 2004, and appeared in Super
Bowl XXXIII in Miami, Florida.
What do you know about the Atlanta Falcons? Try this quick quiz.
The Atlanta Falcons franchise began on June 30, 1965 when NFL
Commissioner Pete Rozelle granted ownership to Rankin Smith Sr. The
expansion team was awarded the first pick in the 1966 NFL Draft as well
as the final pick in each of the first five rounds. The league also held
the 1966 NFL Expansion Draft six weeks later in which the Falcons
selected unprotected players from existing franchises. Who was the first
pick of the draft, making him the first-ever Falcon?
2. The Falcons would have their first Monday Night Football game in
Atlanta on November 30, 1970. The Falcons would end up losing 20-7 in
front of an audience of 30 million TV viewers. Who did they play?
3. In the 1978 season, the Falcons entered their first playoff series
and won the Wild Card Playoffs against the Eagles. Who did they lose to
in the Divisional Playoff?
4. In 1989, Atlanta's top draft pick (fifth overall) was a flamboyant
All-American defensive back from Florida State. Who was the player?
5. In 1997, former Broncos Coach (and Georgia native) Dan Reeves, who
would lead the Falcons to a 7�9 record, became the new head coach.
True or False?
6. In 1998, the Atlanta Falcons made Super Bowl XXXIII by beating
Minnesota Vikings in the NFC Championship. Who did they play in the
7. In the 2001 NFL Draft, the Falcons orchestrated a trade with the
San Diego Chargers to pick QB Michael Vick of Virginia Tech with the #1
draft pick. Who did they trade the rights to?
8. In 2004, with the Falcons being buoyed by the return of QB Michael
Vick and energized by their new Head Coach Jim L. Mora, they would go 11�5
and easily win the NFC South. They beat the St. Louis Rams to make it to
the NFC Championship. Who won the game?
9. After the season, who signed a 10-year, $130 million contract with
a $37 million signing bonus - the richest contract in NFL history at the
10. On January 23, 2008, who became the Falcons' new head coach?