Who Wrote the #1 Hit 
Choose an answer from the three choices
offered after each question and then "Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
1. B.J. Thomas had a #1 song in 1970. Who wrote the song?
- Hal David and Burt Bacharach
- B.J. Thomas
- John Candy and Bill Wymans
2. "American Woman" is the title track of Canadian band
The Guess Who's 1970 album, American Woman. It was #1 for three
weeks in May 1970. Along with Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings, who did
NOT write the song?
- Jim Kale
- Garry Peterson
- Randy Newman
3. Edwin Starr had a #1 hit with �War.� Who wrote the song?
- Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong
- Paul Williams and Dennis Edwards
- Edwin Starr and Barry Gordy, Jr.
4. George Harrison had a #1 hit in 1970 with �My Sweet Lord.�
Who wrote the song?
- George Harrison
- Eric Clapton
- John Lennon
5. �The Tears of a Clown� was a #1 hit for Smokey Robinson and
the Miracles. Who wrote the song?
- Stevie Wonder, Hank Crosby, Smokey Robinson
- Claudette Rogers Robinson and Pete Moore
- Ronnie White and Bobby Rogers
6. �Ain't No Mountain High Enough� had been a hit for Marvin
Gaye and Tammi Terrell 1967. However, in 1970 Diana Ross had a #1 hit
with the song. Who wrote the song?
- Nickolas Ashford and Valerie Simpson
- Harvey Fuqua and Johnny Bristol
- Patrick Adams and Greg Carmichael
7. "I Think I Love You" became the first #1 hit for The
Partridge family. Who wrote the song?
- Tony Romeo
- David Cassidy
- Wes Farrell
8. Who wrote �Make It With You,� the #1 hit by Bread?
- Teddy Pendergrass
- David Gates
- Randy Newman
9. Who wrote �Bridge Over Troubled Waters�?
- Roy Halee
- Paul Simon
- Art Garfunkel
10. Cracklin' Rosie was a #1 hit for Neil Diamond in 1970. Who wrote
- Edwin Starr
- Tom Catalano
- Neil Diamond
Check Your Answers
- 1. Hal David and Burt Bacharach
- 2. Randy Newman
- 3. Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong
- 4. George Harrison
- 5. Stevie Wonder, Hank Crosby, Smokey Robinson
- 6. Nickolas Ashford and Valerie Simpson
- 7. Tony Romeo
- 8. David Gates
- 9. Paul Simon
- 10. Neil Diamond
1 page of 1