1. Clarksburg was formed in 1785 in Virginia. The city is
named for General George Rogers Clark. George Rogers Clark was a soldier from
Virginia and the highest ranking American military officer on the northwestern
frontier during the American Revolutionary War.
2. During most of the 20th century, Clarksburg was an
industrial and manufacturing center, particularly in the glass industry.
3. Since 1995, Clarksburg has been the location of the
Federal Bureau of Investigation's Criminal Justice Information Services
Division, the largest division of the FBI. The Integrated Automated Fingerprint
Identification System, a national fingerprint and criminal history system,
became operational in July 1999 at the division's complex. The National Instant
Criminal Background Check System, used to screen individuals attempting to
receive a firearm, is operated from the facility.
4. In 1824, Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson was
born in Clarksburg.
5. Frank Loria: Virginia Tech Hokies football All American
player. He later died in the Southern Airlines Flight 932 airplane crash, that
killed most of Marshall University's football team, on November 14, 1970.
6. Mike Patrick: ESPN sportscaster
7. Clarksburg is located along the West Fork River and Elk
Page 1 of 1