Choose an answer from the three choices
and True or False offered after each question and then "Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
When was Ima Hogg born?
- July 10, 1882
- July 10, 1922
- July 10, 1942
2. She was known as �The First Lady of Texas�, was an
American philanthropist, patron and collector of the arts, and one
of the most respected women in Texas during the 20th century.
3. Her father James Stephen "Big Jim" Hogg. What
political office did he hold?
- Governor of Texas
- Treasurer of Georgia
- President CSX Railroad
4. Ima had a sister named Ura.
5. In 1901, her father bought 4,100 acres of land near West
Columbia, Texas. Oil was discovered on the property. When was the
- January 15, 1901
- January 15, 1909
- January 15, 1918
6. According to an article in the Houston Houston Chronicle,
what organization did she start that she considered the most
- Houston Child Guidance Center
- Hogg Foundation for Mental Health
- Angell Colliers Montague Model for Civic Achievement
7. How many times was Ima married?
8. Ima had previously suffered from mental health problems. In
late 1918, she fell ill, probably from severe depression. She
consulted with Dr. Francis Xavier Dercum, a specialist in the
treatment of nervous and mental diseases, who treated her for the
next three years. She was hospitalized for more than a year, and
spent a further three years convalescing, primarily in
9. As the Varner�Hogg restoration wound to a halt, Ima
refocused her attention on her Houston home, Hogg Heaven, which
housed some of her personal collection of antiques and artwork. The
New York Times described her "superb Early American
furniture" collection in 1953, and she had a large collection
of Americana and colonial Mexican decorative arts, some of which
are still in the house.
10. Ima died on August 19, 1975, at the age of 93, from a
heart attack. Where was she when she died?
- Austin, TX
- Philadelphia, PA
- London, England