Mother's Day Trivia
What do you know about Mother's Day?
Discover this Alan's FUN Holiday Trivia Quiz.
Your Answers" at the end of the quiz.
1) In modern times it is essentially
equivalent to Mother's Day, which latter name is also increasingly used,
but this is a recent development, and its history is quite different.
What is the British holiday?
- Mother Church Day
- Mothering Day
- Tulip Day
2) Mother's Day did not begin as a
celebration of motherhood, but a synonym of Laetare Sunday in the
Christian liturgical calendar. During the sixteenth century,
people returned to their "mother church" for a service to be held on the
fourth Sunday of Lent.
3) Other names attributed to
this festival do NOT include?
- Simnel Sunday
- Rose Sunday
- Manner Sunday
4) In the United States, Mother's Day is
celebrated on what day?
- May 9th
- Second Sunday in May
- June 2th
5) Julia Ward Howe is sometimes
claimed as the "founder of Mother's Day." In 1870 Howe was the first to
proclaim Mother's Day, with her Mother's Day Proclamation.
6) The first known observance of
Mother's Day in the U.S. occurred on May 13, 1877, the second Sunday of
Where did it occur?
- Mannington, West Virginia
- Albion, Michigan
- Saxon, New York
7) Who is recognized as the founder of modern
day "Mother's Day"?
- Maybell Monroe
- Agnes Moorehead
- Anna Jarvis
8) Where is the birthplace of "Mother's Day"?
- Morton, Pennsylvania
- Jones, Ohio
- Grafton, West Virginia
9) What state had the first "Mother's Day"
celebration in 1910?
- New York
- West Virginia
10. On May 14, 1914, who signed a proclamation
designating the second Sunday in May as Mother's Day?
- U.S. President Woodrow Wilson
- U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt
- Chief Justice Oliver Wendell Homes