Christmas (Part 2)
Choose an answer from the three choices
or True or False offered after each question and then "Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
In the United Kingdom and many countries of the Commonwealth, what is
the day after Christmas (December 26) known as?
- Boxing Day
- Medal Day
- St. Joseph's Day
2. In Colonial America, the Puritans of
New England disapproved of Christmas; its celebration was outlawed in
Boston from 1659 to 1681.
3. Why did Christmas fall out of favor in
the United States after the American Revolution?
- It was considered an English custom.
- It was considered a pagan tradition.
- A world depression made it impossible
to give gifts.
4. What book published in 1843, played a
major role in reinventing Christmas as a holiday emphasizing family,
goodwill, and compassion over communal celebration and hedonistic
- Charles Dickens' A
- Clement Clarke Moore's Twas
the Night Before Christmas
5. In a 1850 book "The First
Christmas in New England", the author wrote a character who
complained that the true meaning of Christmas was being lost in a
shopping spree. Who was the author
- Andrew Stone
- Alice Ghostly
- Harriet Beecher Stowe
6. When was Christmas declared a Federal
7. Franklin Roosevelt want to change
Thanksgiving to give a longer Christmas shopping season to give relief
during the Depression.
8. The modern Christmas tree tradition is
believed to have begun in the 18th century though many argue that Martin
Luther began the tradition in the 16th century. What is the country?
- United Kingdom
9. Christmas is typically the largest
annual economic stimulus for many nations.
10. Irving Berlin wrote "White
Christmas" while sitting poolside in 1940. Where was he at the time?
- Marriott Resort in Miami, Florida
- Home in Hollywood
- Biltmore Resort & Spa in Phoenix,