The Middle Fork River is a tributary of the
Tygart Valley River, 31 miles long, in north-central West Virginia. Via
the Tygart Valley, Monongahela and Ohio Rivers, it is part of the
watershed of the Mississippi River, draining an area of 152 square miles
on the easternmost part of the unglaciated portion of the Allegheny
What do you know about the Middle Fork River?
Explore the Quick US Geography Rivers and Streams Quiz.
"Check Your Answers" at the end of
What is the name of the creek that forms in the Rich Mountains and flows
into Middle Fork River?
- Kittle Creek
- Bonnet Creek
- Rich Creek
2. Birch Fork begins at 3,493 feet and flow 6.5
miles to the Middle Fork River. What is the location it begins?
- Rocky Ridge
- Mount Ridge
- Reggies Ridge
3. Where do the two tributaries meet to form the
Middle Fork River?
4. What is the elevation where the Middle Fork
- 2,303 feet
- 2,323 feet
- 2,343 feet
5. The river's course defines part of the boundary
between Randolph and Upshur Counties, and then between Upshur and
6. What is the name of the 355 acres West Virginia
state park located along the Middle Fork River?
- Andy State Park
- Audra State Park
- Century State Park
7. For most of its course, the Middle Fork forms
whitewater rapids of Class I to Class III on the International Scale of
8. From the state park downstream to its mouth,
what class rapids are found?
- Class III
- Class IV
- Class V
9. According to the West Virginia Department of
Environmental Protection, approximately 94% of the Middle Fork River's
watershed is forested, mostly deciduous, and approximately 4% is used
for agriculture and pasture.
10. What is the elevation of the Middle Fork River
when it flows into the Tygart Valley River?
- 1,483 feet
- 1,583 feet
- 1,683 feet